Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
This just in, 'breaking news' on CNN: 440,000 Sony Vaio laptops have been recalled due to overheating.

Now if it was 'Apple recalls MBPs with buggy GPUs' I'd be so happy :eek:

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Sony should do the whole world a favor and recall all Vaio's :p

The last Vaio I had was:

Better built than an MBP
Was quieter than an MBP
Cooler than an MBP

And didn't have a time-bomb for a gfx card.

My MBP has a dodgy latch, requires re-installs every few months, a yellowish screen, wont wake up from sleep, will wake up when closed....

No offense, but MBP's are no better or worse built than any other laptop range.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
And didn't have a time-bomb for a gfx card.

My MBP has a dodgy latch, requires re-installs every few months, a yellowish screen, wont wake up from sleep, will wake up when closed....

No offense, but MBP's are no better or worse built than any other laptop range.

Honestly, Apple couldn't have known that they were installing time-bomb GPUs, but their non-response regarding this issue is what irks me.

About the dodgy latch and the re-installs.. I don't know. I have never required a re-install since the last year and 2 months.. GPU is another issue. For being 'Pro' laptops, Apple's silence on the matter is quite unprofessional.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Honestly, Apple couldn't have known that they were installing time-bomb GPUs, but their non-response regarding this issue is what irks me.

About the dodgy latch and the re-installs.. I don't know. I have never required a re-install since the last year and 2 months.. GPU is another issue. For being 'Pro' laptops, Apple's silence on the matter is quite unprofessional.

Apple is always a bit late admitting product deficiencies and/or instituting recall/repairs. Try and get cracked MB's fixed or even the flawed power adapters. I've been impressed w. Sony products in design and quality. If I didn't have a preference for OSX (pre-Leopard) I'd be on one now.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good lord that's a lot of laptops!

Btw my 4 year old PowerBook has been the least problematic computer I've owned. Never a problem. Unlike my Sony, Gericom and IBM (before Levono).

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Tosh!.

This Macbook is now three months old, it goes everywhere with me, even been DROPPED inside my Targus bag, and is fine, not a mark, it works fine, it runs fine I have never reinstalled it. I adore this machine, it's by far better built than ANY other Windows laptop I have owned.

God I sound like a fanboy... well I shall seek redemption from that by saying I also adore my Quad Core gaming computer :) .. which is up for sale for a Mac Pro.

*edges out of thread * :p

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
Tosh!.

This Macbook is now three months old, it goes everywhere with me, even been DROPPED inside my Targus bag, and is fine, not a mark, it works fine, it runs fine I have never reinstalled it. I adore this machine, it's by far better built than ANY other Windows laptop I have owned.

God I sound like a fanboy... well I shall seek redemption from that by saying I also adore my Quad Core gaming computer :) .. which is up for sale for a Mac Pro.

*edges out of thread * :p

Glad to hear it! We'll see where your heads at at one year and three months old. Trust me my friend, get AppleCare.;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sony should do the whole world a favor and recall all Vaio's :p

FWIW the Vaio line is a pretty decent line. Their UP laptop is quite nice. I agree with NC MacGuy, if I didn't prefer OSX I would have a Vaio laptop for sure. My all-in-one would also be that 20" Vaio. It's a pretty nice looking machine.

Sony has done well recalling all these laptops. Good for them, sorry for the customers but better to be safe than sorry.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
, it's by far better built than ANY other Windows laptop I have owned.

Sadly, my Macbook is the only machine that I could say was built worse than my MBP. Two great big strips of plastic came off it, the arrow keys stopped working and the palm-rests were utterly vile. No other brand I've ever owned ( IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Gericom, HP ) has shed bodywork like that.

If Keynote didn't exist - I would probably be using a Sony right now.

I'm sorry to say the two Apple laptops I've owned are the two worst built laptops I've seen. I have 20+ Dells, IBM's and HP's to look after at work - none are as bad as the Apple's I've been unfortunate enough to spend my own money on. For the price, Apple should be doing much much MUCH better.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
Sadly, my Macbook is the only machine that I could say was built worse than my MBP. Two great big strips of plastic came off it, the arrow keys stopped working and the palm-rests were utterly vile. No other brand I've ever owned ( IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Gericom, HP ) has shed bodywork like that.

If Keynote didn't exist - I would probably be using a Sony right now.

I'm sorry to say the two Apple laptops I've owned are the two worst built laptops I've seen. I have 20+ Dells, IBM's and HP's to look after at work - none are as bad as the Apple's I've been unfortunate enough to spend my own money on. For the price, Apple should be doing much much MUCH better.

But they're sure pretty!;) As an Apple user for 22 years, I've never seen the QC so horrid and agree with you 100%.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
I've had no problems with my MacBook for longer than 1 year and 3 months. And in all my years as a Mac user, I have never had to reinstall my OS to fix some major flaw.

I've never had to install an OS to repair a flaw either. Now to install an OS to use a replaced bad HDD, yes. I do understand odds and what are the odd's I've had four of four bad MB's? And one for two MBP's? The Air is still going okay but it's only been six months. I've got three PB G4's still going strong including one Ti model. The most beloved 12" actually fell down a whole flight of stairs and even though duct taped and dented, still works as designed. Six iBooks still working with only one HDD failure. Every one of my PPC iMac's are still working fine since new and I've already returned two of three Intel iMacs. I've been an Apple advocate for 22 years and am hardly a neophyte. My opinions are based on experiences as are yours.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I've been to college with this Macbook and had a few comments that their is no problems with the "sharp" edges on it, least it seems smoother to my friends, the hinge does not bend downwards like most others, all the keys are lined up correctly. I have the Applecare on it for the full 3years mostly out of habit and peace of mine, £112 for three years care sounds good to me!!!.

I plan on buying the next generation Macbook for myself, and letting my GF take over this one, because her Toshiba laptop decided to throw it's mainboard out in a tantrum because she had the utter gal to ask it to do more than just browse the internet and do some graphic work.

Perhaps I am just lucky and will be kicked in the ass eventually, my iPhone 3G 8GB works fine no issues, no cracking and only restore was when 2.0.2 come out and I think I rebooted the phone too soon. But my backups restored just fine.

Still I am ONE happy customer, and their is MANY others for each SINGLE unhappy person who posts, sadly we need more happy customers to post as the forums because a death throne sounder for Apple when really many people are quite suited with their computers and phones.

I am based in the UK near Manchester if anyone wants to know.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Three years should come with the high prices we pay for the hardware already. Seriously - Apple Care is a disgrace.

How is it?

I have a friend who had the 2.1GHZ Macbook with if I recall 1GB ram and a basic HD, hell I don't even think it had a superdrive just some DVD-ROM he took it in because the speaker was gone and was blarring very badly after over a year of heavy use at college. And walked out with a brand new 2.4GHZ 2GB ram 160GB Superdrive Macbook!!! I mean that is service my friend, I dare you to try to get that from PCworld or another normal pc retailer.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Because when you pay twice the price of an equiv PC laptop - that sort of service should be free.

Ahh but the service you get of a laptop for equal price is still pants.

I've taken "pc's" back to PCworld and other vendors and have had terrible repairs done, oh and you pay through the nose for these extended warranties by the way? I've had from the old broken HD left in and the new one ducktaped to the side of the HD carridge. To total lies about how much work was needed and how the pc had to go "away " for three week for repairs at maker, when I knew it was just a faulty ram stick due to memtest.

Yet every one I know who has had an issue with an Apple computer has had a suitable experience at Apple, in fact I'm yet to PERSONALLY know or help handle a situation where someone has come out unhappy.

You get what you pay for my friend, and once again take note, any computer forum will be littered with negative views, but I believe for every 100 negative posters their is at least 1000 suited people out there.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
You get what you pay for my friend,

I paid more than an equiv PC for both my MB, and my MBP.

Both are riddled with faults - faults which Apple deny are faults at all. I got useless service with Apple. Refused to replaced a broken PSU. Refused to replace the Macbook shedding plastic work, it's shafted keyboard, or my MBPs crap latch. Sorry - with Apple, you do NOT get what you pay for.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
are vaios not quality laptops?

They are. They'd be my laptop of choice in the PC world. I'd certainly argue that Vaios are better built and more reliable than MBP's.

The Vaio FW is cheaper, better equipped, and imho more stylish, reliable and better built than an MBP. Just my opinion - but Apple have got lazy, and exercise extreme arrogance in under-developing and over-charging for the MBP, simply because they can say "Fine, go find another performance laptop which runs OSX...oh, that's right - you can't - pay up"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.