Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godkorg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Got my invisibleshield today, it got here without the "shieldspray" and the thing looked like it was stepped on a bunch invisishield itself was kinked / folded... basically... so I called Zagg and they just sent put a replacement for me in the mail I just have to mail back the crappy one once I get it to keep the warranty going...

So I decide to put the thing on in the meantime.. I mixed up a bit of soapy water... dipped the invisishield in it (rush job what the heck it probably wont apply well and I've got a replacement on the way), and then shook off the excess soapy water... Lined it up best I could, and squeegeed it... Ends up looking pretty damn good I'd say near perfect (wow didn't expect that)

THREE hours later, I notice I actually put the invisishield OVER a hair... its driving me nuts... I'm sitting around and start picking at it with my nail.. end up lifting a corner enough that I can start pealing it... I see it kind of stretching but nothing too major.. its not tearing... I manage to get the hair out...this things full of fingerprints and whatever else at this point I figured its screwed... I didnt have any soapy water handy so I look left... look right... no one's looking so I give the thing a lick and lay it back on the iphone and squeegeee it with my thumb basically...lol..... so right now I have a perfect invisishield install... and its ridiculous... goes to show the quality of this stupid little piece of plastic film geeeeez... anyway I'm real happy with it... I didnt get how it could reduce smudges and fingerprints but the thing doesnt look like an oily mess anymore too and I love the feel of it...

I just got the front. but given my experience I'd probably be able to pull it off if I actually sat down and took the time to do it right... but I'm pretty amazed with it :) Figured I'd share in case any fellow klutz'es are on the fence about taking on applying this thing :)

ciao!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The redesigned back is actually pretty easy, but takes more time then the front. Just get the film wet enough the slide around and line it up left to right on the chrome and around the side volume controls. Ignore the corners at this point and wait for 20 mins or so. This will allow the film to get tacky and stop it from sliding around on the back. The corners should now be pretty easy. Put them down the best you can and leave it for 5 mins or so and then push down any corners again. You'll need to this repeatedly until it sticks, but after about an hour you should have a perfect install.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
The back wraps around to cover most of the side part of the chrome, but not the chrome on the front face. The front is exposed, however, the thickness of the screen film should deflect most damage from the chrome.

BTW - I have the full body kit and noticed that two of the chrome strips are on the cut out for the front piece, not the back. I would assume that a "back only" kit would include these also.

wrestlepsu99

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I think the real trick with the shield is not overspraying the back part.

I used too much spray and the corners did not stick. I had to walk away from it and come back to it about 10 minutes later. The corners adhered to the sides very well and I had a near perfect install after letting it dry for a bit. It's hard to get perfect, but I am not a perfectionist, so it's ok with me.

In all honesty, you can barely see the imperfections with the naked eye. So I am happy with mine.

I nearly made my friends faint when I took a steak knife to the front of it as an example. Didn't leave a scratch.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
The back wraps around to cover most of the side part of the chrome, but not the chrome on the front face. The front is exposed, however, the thickness of the screen film should deflect most damage from the chrome.

BTW - I have the full body kit and noticed that two of the chrome strips are on the cut out for the front piece, not the back. I would assume that a "back only" kit would include these also.

Aww man that stinks. Thanks for the answer, though!

himalayas.fien

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I think the real trick with the shield is not overspraying the back part.

I used too much spray and the corners did not stick. I had to walk away from it and come back to it about 10 minutes later. The corners adhered to the sides very well and I had a near perfect install after letting it dry for a bit. It's hard to get perfect, but I am not a perfectionist, so it's ok with me.

In all honesty, you can barely see the imperfections with the naked eye. So I am happy with mine.

I nearly made my friends faint when I took a steak knife to the front of it as an example. Didn't leave a scratch.

woOO i dont wanna try that. although it protects from scratching but i dont think it protects from "crushing"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.