Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
I'm fairly new to the Macs and totally new to the video editing. I'm looking for a software that will help me with copying my camera videos miniDV format to my Mac and possibly record it to the DVD later on. What would be the best program for this and what format/compression should I use?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
iMovie. Keep it in the orginal format, it preserves the quality and makes it easy to edit again later.

osin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Since it will take up 13GB what compression method would you recommend for burning the video on DVD?

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Since it will take up 13GB what compression method would you recommend for burning the video on DVD?

I thought MPEG-2 is the standard DVD compression method no? :confused:

I am sure iDVD will pick the correct compression ratio to get your video on DVD.

Edit: just to confirm, you can't just burn the imported file over, you have to encode it to make it fit on the DVD, and that is where iDVD (and other software come into play).

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
iDVD will allow you to have different degrees of compression, found in the preference menus. Most of it is behind-the-scenes, so you don't have to worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.