Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 4, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
platan0
macrumors newbie

Hard drive unable to format/erase/partition

Here's the scenario:

I manually shut down my mac pro after some smoke came out of a hard drive i recently tried to attach. I removed the smokey hard drive and tried to boot up my mac pro as normal and it couldn't find the start up disc.

The 3 working drives i have inside all work (tested them in a separate machine) except for my 1 terabyte main drive (go figure!)

I currently have it attached internally to a G4 machine which doesn't recognize it at all. here's what disc utility reads off it:

what i sense is the problem is the Total Capacity: 0 Bytes. I can't erase or partition the drive. I'm trying to format it so it can have a directory so i can use a data recovery program to obtain the lost files.

If anyone has any idea how i can format this drive or have it be able to be recognized in any way, please let me know.

thanks.
platan0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Have you tried to start-up from an OS X DVD/CD, and use DU from there ? Or possibly try a repair app like DiskWarrior, TechToolPro etc........

If it sees the disk it can most likely format it......ymmv though good luck
Old Sep 5, 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
platan0
macrumors newbie

disk warrior couldn't do squat. It listed it as a blank name and couldnt target it for graphing.

I'm downloading techtools right now and i'll give it a try next. I'll also try booting from the disc to see if it does anything, but it's not the main drive so i dont see why booting from my startup drive would be an issue to run disk utility.

platan0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help