Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorkoramios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Can anyone give me more information on possibly getting my NAT to 'Open'? I am successfully running XBL using my macbook which is sharing its wireless internet connection with my console via ethernet. However, i am unable to join games with any of my friends due to my 'Moderate' NAT setting. If anyone can give me information on getting my NAT to 'Open' that would be great! Third party routing software mentioned?
I've heard OSX creates its own NAT, making a double NAT. However, I heard it IS possible to run XBL through a macbook via internet sharing and have an 'Open' NAT by using 3rd party routing software rather just the normal OSX ethernet sharing. Is this correct?

peepinpadre

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Boston
I am also experiencing this issue, though it only began recently. A few months back, I flexed my networking muscles and got OS X.4.11 on my aging Powerbook G4 to Share Internet, from Wireless to Wired, to my Xbox 360. I was told I had a "Moderate" NAT connection (whatever that means,) while I was in the Halo 3 match making, which said it could slow down the time it took to find games. Despite that warning though, I could connect, and play, usually with minimal lag. Fast forward to now, I haven't been on Xbox Live in a few weeks/months, and it seems with the new updates to the Xbox Home interface (and presumably firmware,) "Moderate" NAT simply isn't sufficient anymore, and it will only allow you into Xbox live with "Open" NAT.

As of yet, I have seen no work around for that, but I have only noticed this within the last few minutes so I haven't done a great deal of research. I should think they'd let you connect at least to Xbox live to download content, or just use your messenger/buddy list with moderate NAT, even if they won't let you connect to games. I really just wanted to check for software updates for Halo 3, not even compete in any online matches.

I confirmed in Airport Admin Utility under "Base Station Options" that I have NAT port mapping protocol enabled, I even tried disabling and reenabling it to no effect.

I'm going to keep my eyes out and see if there's a way to change OS X's NAT structure. If anyone comes up with a workaround, let's hear it

iCheese

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
before the xbox live software update, i would have a moderate NAT and I could play fine, and even after the xbox live update I am still able to log into live and play halo or cod4, for what its worth...

peepinpadre

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Boston
Hmm.. I didn't try to connect to Xbox live from in game, just at the dashboard, I wonder if that would make a difference? Still I'd like to be able to use Xbox live while I'm at the dashboard, not just in game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.