Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
hi all, this is my first post, i tried searching but theres so much there

I just purchased a new iMac 24" its beautiful. I hooked it up and it connected to my router without any real issues but it keeps dropping the connection at random, and its really getting irritating. Do i have a defective model? should i take it back? Any help is appreciated.

So to sum it up, brand new iMac with Leopard installed, AirPort initially connects to my home network, and everything seems fine, but the connection drops at random, then comes back, VERY UNSTABLE. im ready to return the damn thing.

oh, both my pc's connect without any issues, also it seems like the network connection stays, just the internet goes away and in safari it says your computer isnt connected to the internet, but its connected to the network. strange

darkshine

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Sydney, Australia
hmmm

Thats strange...

I don't know much about this, but have you gone to software updates and updated everything, I remember when I got my first imac ages ago, the airport kept dropping untill I updated it. I don't know if it works with the new ones tho.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
updated everything, still nuthing, when i reboot, it tells me that none of my prefered networks are available even though it shows my network name in the list, then i try to connect to it and it says security incompatible, then i click it again and it connects, but no internet, then after some time, like 15 minutes, everything works. IRRITATING

WhiteNoiseMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Hi,

I had this same problem when I got my iMac in March. The way I fixed it was to switch the Wi-Fi channel on my router from automatic to channel 11. Not had anymore problems since then, so give that a try.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I'm getting similar problems with my 20" I think its down to 10.5.4 from what I'm reading on forums.....I am getting connection drops and very poor signal. Anyone who has experienced this problem please let us know what you did....I have tried everything from changing my router's wireless channel, upgrading to latest firmware and reseting to no avail.....

Many Thanks,

ShadoW

Meave

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
I was having the same problem on my new Mac as well, what fixed it for me was to change my WEP from key to the more secure setting, I forget what it's called and I'm at work so I'll check when I get home.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
if you could, that would be appreciated, i guess from looking online, its affecting alot of poeple

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
What type of router are you using?

How far away is the router from the iMac?

Have you tried using a different router to see if maybe the problem is the router?

I had a cheapo D-Link and it had the exact same issues with my mini. Now with my AEBS I have no issues at all. The cheaper routers have issues connecting multiple computers specially at further distance's. I never had any good luck with a cheapo $30-$60 netgear, dlink, linksys futher than a couple rooms or 3 walls, they are very unreliable at those distances. Now if it's it's a higher end one $150+ then it should be just fine. My AEBS has a signal on the first floor of my 3 story building like 2 bars too.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
changed to wireless channel 11 and seems to be working well so far, lets hope this keeps up, i'll keep everyone posted, incase they care

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I concur with nando.

My machine has similar issues, but the problems didn't start until I updated the firmware and enabled WPA security on the crappy D-link router I connect to.

Prior to that, there were no drops when the network was unsecured and running older firmware. Drops are almost certain to occur when another computer with a similarly crappy Hawking wireless adapter joins the network.

To cope with it for the time being, just turn Airport off, then back on from the menu.

However, I wouldn't doubt that 10.5.4 may play a role; 10.5.5 supposedly addresses Airport issues among its many fixes.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
k, so after a few days all seems to be ok. So if anyone is having this issue, change the channel on your router, cause thats what worked for me. I was using channel 6, with many issues, changed to channel 11, with no issues whatsoever.

Oh and this is the best computer i've ever owned, its really amazing how many things they did right on this thing, after being on pc's for so long.

PCtoiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
just log into your router, and under wireless settings there should be an option, i think default on most routers in channel 6

ramadaam

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
My imac 24" Tiger was working beautifully connecting via airport to Linksys DSL router until i applied Airport Express Update 2008-002. It kept dropping the connection even thought the airport wireless icon shows full signal strength.

I scoured the net and for over 2 weeks applied every possible solution from deleting widgets to changing router channels and even removing all items sourrounding the DSL router... nothing worked. I even dug up the 2008-001 airport update and reapplied that but no good

I finally got so fed up that i re-installed the OS 10.4.7 with the "archive previous system option" and everything worked great. I then updated the OS to 10.4.11 and still everthing working consistently. I applied Airport Express Update 2008-001 and things went south.

I reapplied the 10.4.11 update again and things are back to working consistently.

Reinstalling the OS took a couple of hours but it really is a lot less painful than having an unreliable connection, while the Windows machines had no issues. Hope this helps.

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
kinda the same problem,
1st my macbook, the name of the router, apear on my mac, Ive select it and only the IP and one more field was sign in in my mac. And it had the same IP every time. (suspicius). No internet

2nd my iphone SAME ISSUE, only ip and one adress apear on the phone, (exactly the same numbers) NO Internet.

3rd my second iphone, same issue.

So the suspect is my router DLINK. no fix there.

Cameron2008

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Just bought a new Imac 24" as well. I was having this EXACT issue with 4 PCs in the house and never having any problems with the network.

I just switched the channel to 11 and I hope it works!

Thanks for creating this topic, and thanks to google for helping me find it :)

EDIT:
Still having the issue with the connect drop.

cjslator

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Yorkshire, UK
My first post on here, and I'm glad that it is a good one :)

I have also been having problems with my 24" iMac purchased in Dec 2008.

I just changed from 11 down to 9 and all is well.

Many thanks to the above for the top advice.

marky-mark

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Middle England
I'm having the same problem with my new 24" 2.6ghz iMac...I've Been using macs for 4 days now & I'm struggling!
I think my wifi is already set to channel 11.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have this problem with my imac and AEBS(n). It was so annoying I went to using ethernet, but I'll try channel 11 and report back.

Testify

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
We had similiar issue with Jun 08 17'' MBP that the connection of the wifi would drop then come back up.

We've tried everything, from switching the channel to 11 and what not.

The router we had was a WRT54G. In our house, we had iPhones, PS3, Wii all hooked up on one network

But we finally fixed it but the solution wasn't pretty.

We went out, bought an AEBS, bridged it with the other network...

So now, we have a network on 5ghz N-only for the MBP and a B/G for everything else.. works wonder!

cjslator

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Yorkshire, UK
The channel you change to might not affect the problem, it all depends what channels other networks are using. On my network I have three windows pc's, one iMac and my iPhone. The iMac is the only one which picks up more than one available connection, leading me to think that they are much more sensitive.

My advise would be to try a couple of channels until you find one which works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.