Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 5, 2008, 07:19 AM   #1
JRoyer
macrumors newbie

Mac Mail smtp server timed out on port 0.

I have recently set up my Mac Mail as an IMAP account using Google as the server, Gmail. I also had a POP account set up in my Mac Mail using the same Gmail account. I deleted the POP account because I preferred the IMAP account and I only require one account. When I deleted the POP account my Mac Mail no longer was receiving and sending mail the way it did before I deleted the POP account. The part that is confusing is that my Gmail's account settings had disabled the POP and enabled the IMAP. In another words when my Mac Mail was working is working with only the IMAP enabled in the Gmail account settings. Since then I have deleted the origianl POP and IMAP accounts to start over. The problem is that my IMAP account in Mac Mail receives and updates me exactly the way it should, but I am unable to send. I went to the connection doctor and the incoming server connects great it is the outgoing server that will not connect and when I try to send any mail my smtp server times out on port 0. I have the port set on 993 my NAT has port 993 opened as well as 587, Nothing outside of Mac Mail has changed when Mac Mail was working correctly, but my new IMAP account will not send any mail, why? And how do I fix this problem? Thank you very much for taking the time to help.
JRoyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 07:46 AM   #2
deltaiscain
macrumors regular

i have the same problem, the only thing there is left to do is use thunderbird, or entourage
deltaiscain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3
dadoc04
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dadoc04 Send a message via Yahoo to dadoc04
try going to Mail/preferences then under Account Information.... where u see outgoing server click the drop down box and select edit server list. For sever port put in 587.

That worked for me... Hope it works for you.
dadoc04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:29 PM   #4
JRoyer
macrumors newbie

I tried switching to port 587 and still the same thing. I do not want to use anything but my Mac Mail. I know it can work and work properly, I just do not fully understand why it is not sending. Thanks for the posts.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
JRoyer
macrumors newbie

My mistake dadoc04, you were right I just set the wrong port to 587. When the server settings tab is clicked I changed the port setting from 993 to 587. And in the advanced tab at the top the port is still 993. Then I shut down Mac Mail and started it up again then hear the most beautiful airplane sound in the world. IMAP IS BACK! Thanks a lot dadoc04.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
dadoc04
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to dadoc04 Send a message via Yahoo to dadoc04
Hey no problem man.... I was reading that 587 is used if you are going to be going between different networks, once i switched that outgoing server it worked like a charm. Glad its working for you.
dadoc04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store