Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 6, 2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Thakfu
macrumors newbie

Upgrading a Power Mac G4 "Gigabit"

I recently acquired a Power Mac G4 in a trade from a friend, this is my first Apple desktop PC, btw.

Its the Gigabit model.... dual 450 processor, gig of ram, 40gb hdd, zip drive, DVD

Anyways, in tinkering with it I stupidly managed to fry my logic board. Im looking at ebay for a replacement and have plenty of options (part 1153-A btw). But now Im wondering if I just shouldnt try to upgrade. I know a few things from online guides... such as I cant go above AGP 2X for a video card with my current board, and the various G4s are very picky when it comes to power supplies.

I was just wondering if anyone who is pretty knowledgable about the old G4s could steer me in the right direction. Basically, what other G4 model's logic boards I could get instead, which could use my current PSU (22 pin i believe, but ive read it doesnt play well with other boards), which need different PSUs, what is totally out of the question. Which boards wont fit in my case or wont, etc.

Im not looking to spend a ton. I know some of the G4s are cheap as is.... but if I can spend like $100 or less and get a better board, compatible PSU and maybe a better video card (mine is 16mb... yuck). That would be cool. Otherwise maybe I just part it out and get a new one?

Thanks, I hope im not being to vague here...lol
Thakfu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 04:31 AM   #2
Lord Zedd
Banned

Sell the case and buy a G5.
Lord Zedd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Thakfu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zedd View Post
Sell the case and buy a G5.
meh, thats alot more then Im looking to spend. I dont need this to be a beast, just a decent second computer, some G4 parts can be had on the cheap, just wanted to know how far I could extend this thing.
Thakfu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs