Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
http://www.buyerinabottle.com

A free service that centers around the buyer and not the seller of items. It's a concept site of mine, and I'm wondering if you think people would be interested in a place that focuses on the buyer?

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I would make it to where the communication is on site with IM an option of the buyer.

Interesting point. I definitely think there should be a comments section for each ad, or a "shout box".

Do you think people would be interested in a site that centers around the buyer though? I understand Craigslist and others have "sections" for want ads, but what about the entire site?

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I think the biggest problem is that most people know what they want, know whereabouts to find it, and want it now. So it might not appeal to that larger audience.

But...

Maybe there's a smaller segment that are in search of something they can't find. Maybe an item that's been long out of production? These people don't have the need to have it now, so they don't mind posting an ad that will sit around until someday they're contacted.

Kind of ties into the "message in a bottle" analogy.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I don't think that you will get much of an audience from people looking for an iPhone or a TV or anything like that. Everyone knows where to get that stuff. It's going to be people looking for collectables or something less obvious. eBay started out as a way for people to trade Pez dispensers, so it can really take off.

The problem you have is that the money is really with the sellers (the big sellers, not just the man on the street). People aren't going to want to set up a shop like they might on eBay if they have to go find all of their customers. This means that the sellers will stick to eBay where they can sell more easily. The whole shopping mentality is set up that way too. Whenever you buy anything you go around looking at the various shops to look for the best price. You wouldn't place an ad and ask the shops to come back to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.