Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
i bought my friend's old, 30GB ipod, 8 months after he received it for christmas (he got it new, so it was in great condition). i used it faithfully up until this past june, when i bought my ipod touch. it wasn't used for about 2 weeks, then my brother asked to borrow it. it worked fine for him (for the month that he used it), and then when i got it back from him, i noticed that he had worked it over very harshly (infact, when i asked for it back because he hadn't paid me for it, he THREW it on the ground towards my feet). it's been sitting in its box for about a month now, and i wanted to get some songs off of it. . only problem is that it WON'T TURN ON. i've tried everything that apple has said, nothing has worked. it's not under warranty, and idk how much applecare costs for a small fix. i left it charging all day, to see if the battery was the problem, tried to sync it with itunes, and nothing happened.

i should also mention that my other brother opened it up today to stop whatever was rattling inside. turns out that it was some little black pieces, and something else. he didn't disconnect anything, and has done it before. so it has been opened. . and opening it won't be a big deal.

soo, i'm wondering; is there anything i can do to make ole faithful, faithful again? any suggestions that maybe some of you guys have tried and it magically made your ipod alive again? thanks in advance.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Apple will replace your iPod out of warranty for about $150. However, if it was opened up and they can tell, I doubt they will replace it.

You can follow this link to start a repair request with Apple:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

It will need the serial number, etc, and will tell you it is out of warranty, and then ask about what is wrong. You have to send in your iPod and they will send you a "refurb" replacement.

You will need a credit card to pay for the charges. Like I said though - I don't know what will happen if they can tell it was opened...

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
i definitely wouldn't get another one for 150 dollars, seeing how i only paid 125 for it. . after all this frustration i'm going to ask another question: is there any way i can salvage the hard drive? and just take the songs and videos off of it, and get it onto my computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.