Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

210653-MacSE_Art_music.jpg

MyOldMac.net is seeking a buyer the original artwork for a Swedish Mac SE ad campaign commissioned in 1987. The artist describes the history:
I painted them in Gothenburg Sweden in 1987 for HLR-BBDO advertising agency Stockholm. Tore Claersson was the art director with the vision to OK the marketing concept (now at or last seen at Ogalvy&Mather NY USA). Head of Apple in Stockholm at the time that OK'd the campaign was Isaac Stern.
These are original oil and mixed media paintings and are being offered in a collection.

We don't necessarily expect to find a buyer for this collection, but thought readers might be interested in viewing the artwork.

Article Link

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
if this is an original concept, why does it look like someone edited an image of someone playing piano?

The artwork is original but clearly inspired by historic paintings/artists.

arn

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
For bonus points, can anyone name the artists and original artwork the paintings are based on?

Tip: Some of the original artists are already credited in the image captions.

stonewitch

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
is it just me or does that guy look like modern steve jobs ? ... :rolleyes:

wow .. steve jobs must have been a visionary lol

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
if this is an original concept, why does it look like someone edited an image of someone playing piano?

Yeah i was thinking that too, I mean, yes it's "inspired" by existing artwork, but you'd think if the guy had enough talent to paint that, he could've gone ahead and changed it slightly to look more natural.

and in other news:

The Mac SE is slow, monochrome, and does not cure cancer, therefore it gets my negative vote.

:p

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Yeah i was thinking that too, I mean, yes it's "inspired" by existing artwork, but you'd think if the guy had enough talent to paint that, he could've gone ahead and changed it slightly to look more natural.
:p
I think he did a good job matching the styles - the SE doesn't look natural in RL anyway.. It's just a like a beige box with a glowing rectangle. The only reason the other things look right is because they aren't out of context, the SE is really painted in the same style as the rest of the paintings.. it just shouldn't be there.. :D

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I think he did a good job matching the styles - the SE doesn't look natural in RL anyway.. It's just a like a beige box with a glowing rectangle. The only reason the other things look right is because they aren't out of context, the SE is really painted in the same style as the rest of the paintings.. it just shouldn't be there.. :D

Oh he definitely did a great job painting everything in that style, but it's not that the SE seems out of place, it's that her hands are in the exact position and pose of the original painting, you can see right away that she's playing a piano, except that she's not. That's what makes it look so odd. If he had just had maybe one finger on the keyboard instead, it would've look much better, and I would have added the right hand holding the mouse to complete the illusion. :cool:

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Awesome find!

This art comes up from time to time, and I wouldn't be surpised if the Apple guys themselves don't pay big money. Put it on eBay and let's find out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.