Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:46 AM   #1
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Audio Recording on a Quicksilver G4?

I have an old Quicksilver G4 that I want to use for recording (Guitar / microphone using mic to record infront of guitar amp). The computer doesn't have mic-in or line-in at the back.
I'm wondering if there are USB / firewire audio interfaces / sound cards or something similar that can record with low latency into either Garage Band or ProTools, etc.

A quick search on eBay found this: Griffin iMic2

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Griffin-iMic2...QQcmdZViewItem

This crappy Hong Kong one would that work fine?:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-6-Channel...QQcmdZViewItem

What about this? http://www.core-sound.com/audiophile...ophile_usb.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=017

It'll probably go for loads more than my budget though. I'll keep an eye out.

Does anyone know if these are any good for my purposes? Perhaps I'd be better to find an old PCI sound input device does anyone know of any semi-professional cards would be good for my uses, that would work fine in the G4?

I'll set a budget at $40 60 AUD. The cheaper, the better though. Second hand is fine (and preffered if it's cheaper).

Thanks!
BGSM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Killyp
macrumors 68040

It's more a case of the cheaper the worse. I've found ultra-cheapo interfaces to be actually unusable for recording anything which doesn't sound like it's been recorded through a pillow.

The cheapest interface I'd recommend is the M-Audio Fast Track USB. It's not going to be amazing, because it's only USB not Firewire, but at $130 is a steal given that it actually works.

You honestly aren't going to find anything useable for the budget you're looking at.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
cschreppel
macrumors regular

Yeah, you're not going to find anything of great quality at that price.

Also, you can't use third party interfaces with Pro Tools LE (unless you're using Pro Tools M-Powered...which the suggested M-Audio Fast Track would work).

Invest in something a little higher quality up front...it's better than shelling out twice as much when you upgrade.
cschreppel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 05:43 PM   #4
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Well, I'm pretty much a student that wants to get his songs down. Before, I was either recording electric (with a Windows XP) with guitar > pedal (acting as pre-amp) > line in (then Kristal using Amplitube), and that was fine latency-wise using Asio4All. For acoustic stuff, I used a mic > stereo amp > tape out > line in, and that was pretty good quality good enough for my purposes.

I don't really want anything much better quality than that, and I don't need to be able to use Guitar Rig 3, as my amp is more than versatile enough, and I find it way to digital.

The only reason I'm looking for one of these is because the Mac doesn't have Line-in.

I'd love to be able to stretch my budget further, and I know it's an investment, but at the moment I'm tight on cash, but I need some way to record with this Mac.

Thanks for the advice so far!
BGSM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio