Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: Would you like a MacRumors iPhone App?
Yes, that would be great! 32 86.49%
No, what's the point/I like mobile Safari better 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 16, 2009, 04:46 PM   #51
Super Sneb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclver View Post
there is..... go to your USER CP.. EDIT OPTIONS.. then scroll to the bottom[*]
Thank you, didn't realize as neowin's auto sends you to it I have to admit though, neowin's mobile site is loads nicer!!

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Jun 16, 2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Snipping out quoted image
Super Sneb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:12 PM   #52
Maclver
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneb View Post
Thank you, didn't realize as neowin's auto sends you to it I have to admit though, neowin's mobile site is loads nicer!!
who cares about neowin's? this is MacRumors!
Maclver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:28 AM   #53
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

How about doing that? Making a MacRumors Web App. (And maybe at the same time redesign MacRumors all together )

Ams.
anti-microsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:35 AM   #54
Surely

Here's a thread with a poll that I started on July 27, 2008 about the same topic.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:48 AM   #55
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Okay, this app really needs to happen. While the iPhone optimized version of the site is better -- imagine what could be created when you take it a step further!

This is something I just whipped up in Photoshop (sorry, I'm not THAT good at programming). But tell me what you think!

Last edited by yellow; Jun 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added additional images / Re-arranged to reduce vertical space - yellow
ziggyonice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:54 AM   #56
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
Okay, this app really needs to happen. While the iPhone optimized version of the site is better -- imagine what could be created when you take it a step further!

This is something I just whipped up in Photoshop (sorry, I'm not THAT good at programming). But tell me what you think!
I need that real, real bad, man! I got these cheeseburgers!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 01:58 AM   #57
Surely

Quote:

[IMG]snip[/IMG]

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
Nice job.

That's pretty much the kind of thing I've been hoping for.....
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:11 AM   #58
jbernie
macrumors 6502a

I have two differing opinions on this:

1) As a forum primarily about Apple & Apple products, an App for the Touch & iPhone is in our interests and provides the members with a unique level of support.

2) I have concerns that with Apple being the one and only one to approve (legitimate/non jailbreaked) apps, the availability of the app could be compromised should Apple feel the need to "censor" the content we have on this site. Apple is not immune to taking such acts, and it would be for Arn & probably the senior mods to decide if they want to be exposed to these types of issues, above what already happens in the odd case where content has been removed at the request of lawyers.

Although it may not be perfect, nor cool, I would rather we place effort & emphasis on a more feature rich mobile version of the site, where Arn need not (long term) rely on any individual (programmer) or company (Apple) to ensure that the (mobile) content of MacRumors is presented in an optimal format to the community at large.

I couldn't see the images that anti-microsoft posted originally, the basic screenshots that ziggyonice posted are quite appealing, but the approval process is not. I think we could provide content for mobile.macrumors.com that functions in the same basic way but without needing Apple to approve publication each time.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:17 AM   #59
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
Nice job.

That's pretty much the kind of thing I've been hoping for.....
I added an additional image. Not really sure how the forums would look *exactly*, but working on that as well.

Okay, added an image for what the forum could look like. Also added a push notification image.
Although a lot of this would technically be quite difficult to achieve, I can dream, can't I?

Last edited by yellow; Jun 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Merged Contiguous Posts
ziggyonice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:00 AM   #60
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:

Outstanding job.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:08 AM   #61
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Okay, added an image for what the forum could look like. Also added a push notification image.
Although a lot of this would technically be quite difficult to achieve, I can dream, can't I?
Dreaming it is. Simple usability enhancements requests like the ability to pause the spy stream instead of accidently clicking 10 freakin' times on the wrong thread have gone unheard and you want them to implement a push server?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:55 AM   #62
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Nice screenshots ziggyonice.

As an iPhone developer myself, the app is technically doable but would require quite a lot of work to have the forums integrated with the iPhone. You'd basically have to write a lot of server-side code to pass off the data to the iPhone in a easy to read format (XML), and to provide a way to allow users to sign in (basically cookie-based like the browser). The front-page part would be easy, along with forum spy.

But I think jbernie makes a good point. It might be better to focus on the mobile version of the sites instead, which is far easier to do than an entire Cocoa Touch UI and custom server backend
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:18 AM   #63
joro
macrumors 68020

Quote:

<snip>

These are awesome and I would love to see a MR application. Even if Apple wouldn’t approve such an app, there could be an optimized version such as TUAW [gulp]. If you got i.tuaw.com on your iPhone it has a special version just for the iPhone. Although I know there is one already for MR, the problem is you have to switch back and fourth between the versions when your using it on a computer versus the iphone.

Last edited by kainjow; Jun 17, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: removed quoted images
joro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:28 AM   #64
Peer.P
macrumors newbie

App for MacRumors?

Hi folks,

i was wondering, whether there is an app to read the news on Macrumors.com. I do not mean a RSS-thing, but a special app.

Why can't somebody just make one?

Thanks a lot
Peer
Peer.P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:30 AM   #65
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer.P View Post
Hi folks,

i was wondering, whether there is an app to read the news on Macrumors.com. I do not mean a RSS-thing, but a special app.

Thanks a lot
Peer
No there isn't. Any it can't "Just be made" because it'd be rather complex to get it to work with the complexity of MR.com This has been asked MANY times. Check the site feedback section.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:30 AM   #66
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

There isn't an app out. Just set the site to the iPhone friendly setting at the bottom of any forum page.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:30 AM   #67
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer.P View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks a lot
Peer
There's already a thread on the topic. I've merged yours with it.
Please search next time.

Thanks!
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:29 AM   #68
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Dreaming it is. Simple usability enhancements requests like the ability to pause the spy stream instead of accidently clicking 10 freakin' times on the wrong thread have gone unheard and you want them to implement a push server?
Haha, Photoshop is meant to work miracles, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
As an iPhone developer myself, the app is technically doable but would require quite a lot of work to have the forums integrated with the iPhone.
I'm going to agree, though -- the best option (and most realistic) is a web app. As cool as an actual App would be, I just don't see how it'd be technically feasible.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:42 AM   #69
BrownManUPS
macrumors 6502a

I +1 this idea.
BrownManUPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:43 AM   #70
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

I certainly like the idea, so I'll have a go at it. I can certainly get the news section done quickly, but interfacing with the forums (vBulletin) might be tricky. I'll look in to it.

I'll let you know when I've got something to say/show. In the mean time, anyone else who wants to have a go, do.

Last edited by Saladinos; Jun 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:48 AM   #71
iphoneftw
macrumors 6502

Macrumors should have an app

who here thinks macrumors needs an app
iphoneftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:49 AM   #72
iVeBeenDrinkin'
macrumors 65816

... and it should include SEARCH...

Last edited by iVeBeenDrinkin'; Jun 18, 2009 at 02:54 AM.
iVeBeenDrinkin' is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:52 AM   #73
iphoneftw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVeBeenDrinkin' View Post
... and it should include SEARCH...
yeah that would be nice and the buyers guide
iphoneftw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:14 AM   #74
Andrew Henry
macrumors 6502a

Definitely wish MR had an app, also Engadget would be nice!
Andrew Henry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:53 AM   #75
u49aa2
macrumors 6502a

I think it will be great to have a MR app in the iphone. But i also wish to have an appleinsider app .

Last edited by kainjow; Jun 18, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: cleanup
u49aa2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback