Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Increase your iPhone typing speed by learning how to MISspel...

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Increase your iPhone typing speed by learning how to MISspell properly
Description:: The iPhone’s auto-correct is pretty smart, but the one thing it has trouble with are contractions. This is because if you want to type a word like “we’ll”, the iPhone will think you meant to type “well” which is a perfectly legitimate word. Same thing with “we’re” and “were”, “he’ll” and “hell” and so on. But there’s a trick to fooling the auto correct into recognizing that you are typing a contraction instead of another recognizable word.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:16 PM   #2
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

Could be very handy for some.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 03:25 AM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G4

The iPhone does so much automatic capitalization, punctuation, and spelling correction that I find myself wishing my desktop keyboard were half as smart! It annoys me now to type on my Mac and have to fix my OWN typos

And what they say about "just barge ahead" and type inaccurately, letting the phone do the work, is true--I can go REALLY fast if I force myself not to pay too much attention to my own typos. I'm amazed when I make a huge mess of my typing and the phone has the sentence perfectly.

I'll be even faster when I get in the habit of hitting Space as soon as the phone guesses the word--so I don't even have to type the end of the word at all. And when I get in the habit of hitting space after typing a number (which auto-switches back to alpha mode, saving a step). And then I get in the habit of hitting space twice at the end of my last sentence (in a post, email, or IM), so I get the same auto-period as with any other sentence.

Most surprising to me, as a new iPhone user: I like the smaller keyboard better than the landscape keyboard. (Maybe I just got used to it so change is a problem.)

Tip: to make a correction, don't bother holding down the "lens." Just tap near the end of the word, or between words. The cursor will snap to the end (or start) of the word. I wish my mouse did that! (How often do you want to click the middle of a word, compared to how often you want to click between words?)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:53 AM   #4
MisterEd
macrumors 6502

Nice tip, I never realised I could do this.. and it was annoying me slightly, typing words such as "he'll" and getting "hell" instead.

Ed
MisterEd is offline   0
Old Sep 8, 2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Nermal

The auto-"correct" annoys me sometimes, and after an incident I had yesterday I now suspect that it's downright malicious. I typed something along the lines of "anyway i'll talk to you soon, i'll be on my msn" and it changed it to "i'll be on my man"

You can imagine where the conversation went from there
Nermal is offline   0
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:56 PM   #6
happydude
macrumors 6502a

nice!! great tip!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
The auto-"correct" annoys me sometimes, and after an incident I had yesterday I now suspect that it's downright malicious. I typed something along the lines of "anyway i'll talk to you soon, i'll be on my msn" and it changed it to "i'll be on my man"

Aha! "Was my phone that changed it, honest!"
Kilamite is offline   0
Old Sep 9, 2008, 02:44 AM   #8
kgraf6
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post

Yeah they really need to fix that. Talking about msn is the worst.
In fact a friend of mine sent a message; Get on msn for a sec.
But the iphone sent; Get on man for sex.

Again, the conversation progressed rather quickly.
kgraf6 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion