Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:56 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Comparison Chart of MSN Messenger 6.x for Windows vs MSN Mes...

Category: Microsoft
Link: Comparison Chart of MSN Messenger 6.x for Windows vs MSN Messenger 3.5.x for Mac OS X

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 03:56 AM   #2
ShadowHunter
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to ShadowHunter
Perhaps this is just me, but who cares? All the features in 6.0 that aren't on the Mac either suck or I don't use. About the only one I might use is to play solitaire with my friend....but if I never did it again because I use the Mac version I wouldn't get teary eyed.

"Macs aren't perfect, but they sure look that way next to a PC" - solvs

Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the #1 Mac Folding team!
ShadowHunter is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 06:00 AM   #3
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowHunter
Perhaps this is just me, but who cares?
iCare MSN 6 (well it's 6.1 now) is a great msging app, the OS X version should and needs to be brought up to date asap.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:57 AM   #4
uv23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by edesignuk
iCare MSN 6 (well it's 6.1 now) is a great msging app, the OS X version should and needs to be brought up to date asap.
Agreed. It's used extensively at work so that Mac and PC peeps in different departments can communicate quickly and pass around links.
uv23 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:07 PM   #5
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

well, AIM users (pc) and iChat (mac), too, can communicate with each other, no?

me don't need msn messenger
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 12:35 PM   #6
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by redAPPLE
well, AIM users (pc) and iChat (mac), too, can communicate with each other, no?

me don't need msn messenger
iChat doesn't even come close to the features of MSN Msgr 6, plus the fact almost everyone I know has a PC and uses MSN, and I wouldn't mind betting it's the same situation for most.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 01:10 PM   #7
MacOSUser
macrumors newbie

Better AIM and Yahoo support is more important

From my experience, MSN Messenger is used mostly by Microsoft centric companies and for personal use outside the US. Most people in the US use AIM or Yahoo for personal use. Although it would be great to have Messenger the same on both platforms, it will never happen. My hope is that Apple continues to enhance iChat to support Yahoo and MSN. With new video conferencing support coming to AIM, I'm guessing we will see changes in iChat in the near future to support the AIM video conference protocol. Hopefully, Yahoo support will be added at that time as well.
MacOSUser is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 05:18 PM   #8
grahamtriggs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by uv23
Agreed. It's used extensively at work so that Mac and PC peeps in different departments can communicate quickly and pass around links.
Sorry, but this is irrelevant. There is nothing to stop an MSN Mac user talking to a PC owner using MSN 6.

The new emoticons are the only 'cool' feature about MSN 6 that I would like to see on the Mac. The rest is pure fluff.

I would even go so far as to say that - emoticons apart - I prefer to use the earlier version of MSN on Windows, because of the cruft.
grahamtriggs is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 07:07 PM   #9
uv23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by grahamtriggs
Sorry, but this is irrelevant. There is nothing to stop an MSN Mac user talking to a PC owner using MSN 6.

The new emoticons are the only 'cool' feature about MSN 6 that I would like to see on the Mac. The rest is pure fluff.

I would even go so far as to say that - emoticons apart - I prefer to use the earlier version of MSN on Windows, because of the cruft.
Actually I couldn't care less about the fluff. The reason I want a new version of messenger for the Mac is because the current one is flakey, prone to constant disconnects and crashing.
uv23 is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:35 PM   #10
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
try forcing a few million people who use MSN Messenger for windows to use AIM, most of them wont even budge, and many of them get a hotmail addy just for email and realize that MSN Messenger is fully supported if u have an @msn or @hotmail account, so they download it and stay with it, most of my friends started out with either AIM or ICQ but end up abandonning it for MSN, I'm just so fed up with people trying to send me video chat/games requests (actually many times a day and i keep explaining that i cant do it), when its just not posssible, I have to use Yahoo if i want to view someone with windows's webcam
Old Jan 18, 2004, 04:19 AM   #11
Sabenth
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Sabenth Send a message via Yahoo to Sabenth
got to be honest ive used it a couple of times and find it anoying crashes a lot. wont connect at all but i will add mit it looks better than the windows version.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 05:46 PM   #12
zamyatin
macrumors regular

m-o-n-o-p-o-l-y

Quote:
Originally posted by SilvorX
try forcing a few million people who use MSN Messenger for windows to use AIM, most of them wont even budge, and many of them get a hotmail addy just for email and realize that MSN Messenger is fully supported if u have an @msn or @hotmail account, so they download it and stay with it, most of my friends started out with either AIM or ICQ but end up abandonning it for MSN...
Watching a monopoly leveraged to gain monopolies in other markets, as it happens! What fortune we have to live in such times.

Jabber's a better protocol. Jabber is distributed, like email -- no single organization controls the network, which should be the rule for any global communication system. Also, anyone can set up his or her own Jabber server, which is really awesome!

Jabber is growing! Recently Jabber surpassed ICQ in number of users, and it continues to climb. Once universities and companies start implementing their own Jabber servers, the days of incompatible, proprietary IM systems will be gone, and every IM user will be better off.

I don't use Microsoft operating systems, I don't use Microsoft email or web clients, I don't use Microsoft office suites -- why break my winning streak?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 04:16 PM   #13
denjeff
macrumors member

Apple should port iChat to windows and add new features to it... At first, a lot of people would want the nice looking iChat and secondly, it would sell a lot of iSights... Introduce a piece of software and sell hardware, isn t that what Apple is good at?!?
denjeff is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion