Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141922-apple-lets-rock-086_400.jpg

Image from Engadget
Alongside the other announcements, Apple announced that the iPhone 2.1 firmware will be released this Friday as a free update. The much anticipated version upgrade will address many of the issues that have been plaguing iPhone users. Changes include:

- Significantly better battery life
- Fewer call drops
- Bug fixes
- Faster backups to iTunes
- No App crashes

Article Link

Nicholie

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Huntsville, Al
What bothers me (though probably unjustifiably) is the failure to mention the new Genius playlists or other features as mentioned on the iPod Touch.

But i'm sure they applied to the iPhone as well (seeing the devices are now even more eerily similar).

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
No mention of push API. I wonder if they got pushed to the next rev (2.2) in lieu of fixes.

I'll definitely take the battery life improvement though, I manged to drain the battery down to 5% in a day over labor day weekend.

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Cant wait for Friday1!!

Still so many other things i was hoping to hear..

Push Notification for apps and email.... Copy paste.... GPS!!

but steps in the right direction at least...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hidden features? copy & paste?

I hope so. We pretty much know it's coming, but when?

In any case, "no app crashes" is a great feature! That's the kind of user-friendly interaction that people love :)

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm so happy about the fact they didn't mention any new features.

This might mean they just worked on making the iPhone stable and non laggy. I hope

dsachdev

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Disappointing

...as a shareholder and as someone waiting to buy a new macbook pro. don't make such a big deal on the street about it, and have no surprises.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I almost cried when this was announced. Seriously.

This is the ONE time I didn't care about no new features. I just want a stable OS for my phone! No more restarts, apps crashing, getting my phone replaced, etc.

Friday can't come quick enough!!!!!

RustyM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
In any case, "no app crashes" is a great feature! That's the kind of user-friendly interaction that people love :)

Absolutely. Assuming Apple can deliver on all these new "features", this is the best news I've heard this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.