Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I figured I would start THE thread on hacking version 2.1 for the touch. As soon as anyone has any info, update it here in this thread. We'll keep track of the stats and what Apple has done differently in this OS as far as hacking the firmware is concerned.

If anyone has any links regarding news, PM me and I will put it in this first post. I tried doing searches but I guess it's just too early. Maybe I will have better luck tomorrow.

UPDATE 1 (9:00PM) - I have read from several sources that the vers. 2.1 (beta) has been hacked already. They (the DEV team) have said the Hack is now at the hardware level and pretty much everything is left to be changed. They will be relying on the iBoot method to hack the ipod. This is the fastest most powerful way to hack the Touch as of now. We should be seeing a hacked 2.1 here in less than 2 days.

ipod-touch-unboxing-apple-touch-10.jpg

UPDATE 2 (9:39PM) - There have been problems reported from people upgrading from their Jailbroken touch to 2.1. It is suggested that you do a restore of your ipod to it's current version and then do the upgrade. It's been reported on several occasions that the iPod gets stuck on the boot logo and you will have to do a force restore again. Just a heads up for those upgrading from a Jailbroken Touch.

UPDATE 3 (7:16AM, 9/10/08) - For those of you wondering if you would be able to downgrade from 2.1 to 2.0.1, it is possible. There is no news on the front of Jailbreaking but if you would like to try out 2.1 then you can do so safely. All you need to do is put your iPod in DFU mode and do a selective restore via iTunes.

UPDATE 4 (9:00AM 9/10/08) - These are the instructions posted by Nudded on the iPodTouchForums for downgrading your iPod with iTunes 8.

"1. Put your iPod in DFU mode (see this link for DFU mode guide)

2. On a mac: hold option key while clicking the restore button
On a windows based pc: hold down shift key while clicking the restore button

3. navigate to the folder where your 2.0.2 restore.ipsw is located

4. click open

5. wait a long time since it will completely erase your root partition

6. use quickpwn to jailbreak the ipod touch

7. enjoy

EDIT:
If you keep getting errors, first do a restore to 2.1 and then follow my guide to downgrade.
If it still gives errors try downgrading to another firmware (e.g. 2.0.1 or 2.0)

hope this helps"

This has been approved by many members to work.

UPDATE 5 (10:30AM 9/10/08) - It will be a while before the 2nd Gen Touch gets Jailbroken, it uses a new Processor as well as a new code scheme. Here are the details -

"Submitted by jfb392 on Sep 09, 2008 - 1:52 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like the current form of Pwnage won't work with the new iPod touch (n72ap).
The device has a new GID key (I assume this is because it uses a different processor; the S5L8720x, rather than the S5L8900 used in the first iPod touch, iPhone and iPhone 3G), which means that none of the system images can be decrypted.
Each image contains a KBAG tag which is 0x20 long (64 bytes) that is decrypted by the hardware AES engine, then the resulting keys are used to decrypt the image itself.
Since the GID key differs from every other device, you can only decrypt KBAG tag data using n72ap itself.
Of course, this leads you to a dead end, since you use either the kernel or iBoot to gain access to the hardware AES engine (which usually cannot be accessed).
A new exploit will have to be found to allow access to the hardware AES engine first, so that the KBAG data can then be decrypted, which will then allow for images to be decrypted and modified.

So, we have to wait for a new low-level exploit or settle for something less than Pwnage (probably not possible, since 2.x is locked down).
Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen very quickly, since the Dev Team is actually the iPhone Dev Team, and they don't seem to prioritize the iPod touch.
Here's to hoping though!

Props to Chronic and WEsTbAeR-- for making the processor and model information available so quickly.
I assume that one of the two, or both, also discovered that there is a new GID key."

UPDATE 6 (5:15PM 9/10/08) - Well it looks like someone with a bright idea just might be getting us that much closer to a quicker Jailbreak. Here is the idea that Laser suggested -

I was thinking, and I figured out a nice method for jailbreaking. I dont know how likely it is to work, because I have never upgraded my ipod touch before, I have only restored. My thought is this:
What if we could upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0.2 and keep a method to get into root?

Here is how I would go about it:

Restore ipod to a fresh 2.0.2
Jailbreak with Quickpwn
Install MobileFinder Via appstore
Install openssh via cydia
ssh into ipod and add root to mobilefinder
copy cydia and installer.app onto your PC or mac.
upgrade ipod to 2.1 via itunes
open mobilefinder on itunes and link device to PC/Mac
ftp into device via mobilefinder
navigate to root
copy cydia and installer.app into /applications
reboot ipod
open cydia and install openssh
Enjoy shiny new jailbroken ipod touch 2.1

I'll try this method and post my results. It will most likely be this weekend because I am swamped with Homework. If anyone else can get this to work, please post your results and pictures here, I look forward to seeing it!
-Laser

After having his idea shot down by many members, he was able to gain access into the root of his touch. He is only able to look at files now, he can't edit anything. But, we are that much closer!

ROOT ACCESS WORKS!!!! I HAVE GOTTEN INTO ROOT THROUGH MOBILEFINDER ON 2.1!
I have screenshots and such. The only problem I have now is that I am not able to edit in root.... I need to figure out how to enable this.

Screenshots will be coming up in the next few hours.

Screenshots are up!

UPDATE 7 (3.10PM 9/1/08) - Well we have an update from the DEV Team and they are still at work. Here is a quote from their latest blog entry;

Countermeasures
If you’ve been following the technical aspects of our blog since July, you may have noticed that we’ve asserted multiple times that Apple can’t fix the bug we’ve exploited in PwnageTool unless they fix their hardware.

That hardware fact is still true. But one way they can try to combat Pwnage for existing hardware is to program iTunes to detect and prevent the Pwnage exploit. In fact, they’ve already done that in iTunes 8. The screenshot below from iTunes 8 using a Pwned ipsw (with an unPwned device attached) is one example.

counter.jpg

The nice thing about iTunes decisions is that we can provide you with patches to counter them. We have one such patch already for Mac iTunes 8 for iPod touch. We’ll be working out the full suite of patches for all the combinations over the next week.

Here are 2 screenshots that Apple doesn’t want you to see. Notice the Terminal icon at the end of:

2.1ss1.png

Then once we’ve launched it, despite mobiledevice’s best intentions:

2.1ss2.png

So we are chugging along!

UPDATE 8 (11:34PM 9/11/08) - Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have a Jailbreak! This came up a few hours ago and after reading most all of the pages, you can see that it indeed does work!

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97315

You need to join this site, but it's free, and it's a TouchFan site so it would be more direct to your Touch related needs!

Nevermind that, there is now a thread dedicated to this part jailbreak - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/561393/

FINAL UPDATE! - Well I think this thread is done, we now have a GUI Jailbreak! - http://www.quickpwn.com/ - Enjoy!

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
An update has been added to the original post.

Oh wow. This is the "official" thread? :rolleyes:

:mad:;) Comments like that won't get anybody anywhere. I was hoping for more constructive comments, not ones regarding the ability of this thread to thrive. I suggest you add some good info or just plain delete your post. This is where the other threads go way off topic and become a mess. I want to keep this thread to questions/answers/suggestions regarding Jailbreaking the new firmware. :cool:

g2tegg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I have a noob question for you pros,

I currently have jailbroke 2.0.2, and I am wondering what would happen if I did a update to the new 2.1? The update is available through my iTunes. It already asked me if I wanted to update, but I clicked no until I get some answers here. Would it "unjailbrake" my ipod, or just simply update the firmware and the rest stays the same. (like my apps/music/video/pictures/cydia/installer) I dont really care if I lose my music or movies as I have them on my hard drive anyways.. And I can always back up my apps.. Just wondering if this will "unjailbreak" it.
Thanks in advance and my apologies for such a n00b question.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I have a noob question for you pros,

I currently have jailbroke 2.0.2, and I am wondering what would happen if I did a update to the new 2.1? The update is available through my iTunes. It already asked me if I wanted to update, but I clicked no until I get some answers here. Would it "unjailbrake" my ipod, or just simply update the firmware and the rest stays the same. (like my apps/music/video/pictures/cydia/installer) I dont really care if I lose my music or movies as I have them on my hard drive anyways.. And I can always back up my apps.. Just wondering if this will "unjailbreak" it.
Thanks in advance and my apologies for such a n00b question.

I believe that was essentially answered in UPDATE 3. You will lose all your data. It is recommended that if you are updating from a Jailbroken Touch, that you restore it to 2.1 versus upgrading it to 2.1. It will completely delete everything on your iPod. So deleting the whole thing would "unjailbreak" it.

Howie-J-Simons

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
the 1st picture at the top of this page, thats what my ipod touch is showing. im completely oblivious when it comes to technical stuff so can some1 tell me what to do in simple terms? do i simply need to download the knew version of itunes or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.