Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I've never owned an iPod and I plan on getting the iPod touch as a gift for someone. My question is:

They have a fairly large collection of photos in iPhoto (maybe 6GB) and most of the images are rather large TIFF files (maybe averaging between 6 - 16 MB each). Upon syncing, is there an option to reduce file size (and maybe convert them to JPEG) so that a lot of space on the iPod touch is not consumed by image quality that won't be discernable on the relatively smaller screen size of an iPod touch.

I'm asking this to see if I can get by on the 16GB model rather than the 32GB one.

Thanks.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah iTunes downsizes all your photos automatically - I've found that to be more of a problem than a solution because sometimes the size it downsizes you to isn't of high enough resolution to zoom into well (so then you'd need a 3rd party application like Files or DataCase if you want to store the files in their original full resolution).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.