Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Let's Rock" media event yesterday refreshed their entire iPod line. When asked about the lack of Mac news in an interview, Jobs pointed out it was a music focused event. Many readers, however, are anxiously awaiting the new notebook revisions that have been rumored.

DaringFireball now claims that Apple will be releasing new notebooks on October 14th according to sources "familiar with Apple's hardware plans." This timeframe fits into recent expectations of a more staggered release, and recent hints to resellers that notebook refreshes would have to wait until October.

While both the MacBook and MacBook Pro are overdue for revisions, the MacBook Air has also been rumored to see imminent updates. Besides new versions of the MacBook Air's custom Intel processor, Apple now has access to upgraded miniature hard drives for use in the slim laptop.

The new 120GB iPod Classic shares the same single-platter hard drive form factor that is also used in the MacBook Air. Prior to the availability of the 120GB part, the MacBook Air had been limited to a maximum hard drive size of 80GB. The MacBook Air should now be able to accommodate the higher 120GB hard drive size.

Article Link

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
And about time!

If you ask me, they should have held the Music event after the MacBook / MB Pro event later this year. Apple's revenue comes largely from the Mac holiday season, less than the iPod.

(I think... )

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Good stuff. They could do with updating the MacBook Air and it makes sense.

Mid October sounds about right. I'm just glad I got my MBP in Feb when I did and didn't wait for the "new MacBook Pros as early as June?" rumour to play out! :D

Still, it's about time they upgraded them - I reckon they will be the new designs.

slcoss

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
October 14th? Feels like ages away... at least finally news are coming in about the macbooks... well, guess we'er gonna have to wait another month...

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Sounds great.

Perhaps prices that are actually competitive this time around, instead of being at twice the price for similar specs of other PC notebooks? The fact that I can equal the $2700 17-inch MBP's specs with an HP for $1300 is kinda sad.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
But when in stores?

Is there any indication as to whether they'll be in store on Oct. 14? I'm leaving for an overseas trip the night of Oct. 30 and need a new laptop for the trip (plus a couple days before I leave to migrate files, install software and troubleshoot).

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I really hope they release new notebooks this year

I have been waiting for a notebook refresh for a while. I am still using a Dell XPS m1330 I bought last year. I didnt want to upgrade until I saw the new apple line up. Don't dissapoint me :apple:. I've held off too long to wait until next year to see the new gear.

The Tall One

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
One more time

Is it just me or does the less interesting laptops get more attention with updates these days than the desktop mac. Back in the day, there used to be many different Mac desktops to choose from... now its the MacPro or the iMac.

I need a new desktop mac with high end processing ability, something that can render HDV well, and has an excellent graphics card with the power to back it up.

Is it seriously too much to ask for a MacPro revision? I mean, come on... the macbook and the macbook pro have had their fun in the sun, lots of updates, plenty of use... but as a professional in need of a super computer, I feel neglected by Apple who use to be the leader in prosumer video editing.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Simply for me: :D

I hope there are other little upgrades as well aside from the 120GB hard drive update.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Days since last Mac mini update: 400.

And since the previous updates to the Mac mini consisted only of CPU and hard drive upgrades, we might as well say that the Mac mini has never been updated since the intel switch. :(

1st Mac mini = G4 with a Radeon 9200/32MB (with the stealth update to Radeon9200/64MB, but still a Radeon 9200 anyway).
2nd Mac mini = Core Solo/Core Duo/Core 2 Duo with a GMA950.

Given how slowly the new visualizer runs on my Mac mini (17" LCD, 1280x1024), I hope the upgrade will bring a more decent GPU (x4500 or better would be enough).

micol124

macrumors member
May 29, 2008
Milan, Italy
I really hope so! I have been waiting since february, and since selling my precious 12" Powerbook G4 to my BF, I have been stuck on my old IBook g3 500MHz...

I just can't wait!!!:D

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I've been waiting since april and I don't mind waiting one month more. What I would enjoy is a fixed and confirmed date. I don't want to be disappointed xxth more times.

christiemp

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Wisconsin
FINALLY!??!?! I'm glad there are actually starting to be speculated dates. October 14th is OK...but I'd prefer earlier...Like last Tuesday in September so I'd have it in time for my B-day. Or on my B-day would be good too (Oct 7th ;))

Yayyyy I want them now though :( :( Why can't they come out now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.