Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3pointers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
In an attempt to upgrade my ram on my MBP, I bought a #00 Phillips screwdriver from Sears. It doesn't seem like the right size because I don't feel like it's fitting far enough down into screws to turn them.

Home Depot didn't have any screwdrivers small enough.

Any recommendations on where to find the correct #00 screwdriver? I've read where some people use the flat head from an eyeglass repair kit, and that does work on one screw, but doesn't budge the other two.

It sucks having new ram and not being able to open up the computer.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
On the MBPs I've worked on, you have to press down fairly hard with a #00 while turning them slowly.

3pointers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Well, found a $2.00 set of micro screwdrivers at the drug store, and between the #000 and #00 screwdrivers, I finally managed to get them out. One of them now has a larger hole, but it just wouldn't budge. Too bad they don't include a little screwdriver with their computers.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
er no, i have the official service manual. #0 (magnetized) is needed for memory. #0 in general is usually what they use if its a Phillips

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Hmmm...

The one that I've been using since the dawn of the Aluminium era is stamped "00". The "0" is definitely too large. They're from a set of CK watchmaker's screwdrivers.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have 2 screwdrivers that I use and it opens up pretty much all electronics (except the 3-star). I magnetized all the tips myself.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
a work we've got a set of Wiha #0x150 (yea, they're long). to magnetize we just drag it along a nice magnet we've got stuck on a wall.

3pointers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Well, maybe your service manual says #0, but the little book that came with my MBP, in the chapter on upgrading ram, says #00.

Maybe they've changed the screws on the more recent books.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I don't know which size I ended up using (the set of small screwdrivers had 12 different sizes of flat and phillips head screwdrivers), but I can say be sure to use a decent screwdriver.

I dismantled my ex-Macbook Pro (sold it) to get access to the hard disk and ruined 2 very cheap screwdrivers in the process.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
er no, i have the official service manual. #0 (magnetized) is needed for memory. #0 in general is usually what they use if its a Phillips

Well i suggest you get in touch with the people who make the guides,but hey maybe they don't know any different

Picture 4.png

click for larger

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
hm that is peculiar. I've used the #0 we have at work with no problems on dozens of macbook(Pros). whatever works i guess.

i took a MBP apart fine with a #0 today to check for water damage..which the customer caused.

there is a discrepancy between the user's manual and the official service manual. for what, who knows.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
a work we've got a set of Wiha #0x150 (yea, they're long). to magnetize we just drag it along a nice magnet we've got stuck on a wall.

I love Wiha tools. Extremely good quality. Boy, they're expensive but they're like the Snap-on of electronics tools.....

gerbil

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
I couldn't unscrew some MBP screws with a Phillips #0 so I went to a computer shop, Googled and found this thread. There is indeed a Phillips #00 which worked with the tough screws on my MBP. Cost me $3 versus a trip to the Apple service centre to get my hard drive swapped.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
yup #00, use wiha as well, magnetized. Some philips sets I've read the head jsut doesn't go in deep enough, that's all. Get a good set and you'll be solid.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I did a LOT of checking before I opened up the back of my 2010 MBP 13". I had read reports saying #0, #00, and #000 Phillips. I did not want to order three screwdrivers, nor did I want to buy one and have it be the wrong one.

I even considered that maybe they were JIS headed screws.

In the end, after researching, I felt pretty confident that they were #00 Phillips, so I ordered a #00 Wiha ESD Phillips screwdriver (not that expensive to my mind, btw, around 5 or 6 bucks, including shipping) and it worked perfectly with an excellent fit.

The screws do take firm pressure to get started when you are removing them, or at least mine did. There was a blue, Loctite-like substance on each one. I had to overcome that friction to get them started loosening. The Wihas (and others) are made so that you can press down while turning (the end of the handle has a disc that moves independently of the shaft, so you can press 'n' turn simultaneously).

Miss Terri

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I have a full mechanics set of tools and and an entire technicians set of tools from my last job and that Husky screw driver is my favorite of all of my tools. Although my kids lost the cap (as the barrel is where the tips store) and most of the tips, so I may have to buy another one. I still have the most important tip though, the torx t6 as that is the one I use the most.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
In an attempt to upgrade my ram on my MBP, I bought a #00 Phillips screwdriver from Sears. It doesn't seem like the right size because I don't feel like it's fitting far enough down into screws to turn them.

Home Depot didn't have any screwdrivers small enough.

Any recommendations on where to find the correct #00 screwdriver? I've read where some people use the flat head from an eyeglass repair kit, and that does work on one screw, but doesn't budge the other two.

It sucks having new ram and not being able to open up the computer.

The Home Depot I went to had a set that came with the phillips and torx needed to open the computer and remove the hard drive and ram. If you can't find anything locally you can always look online.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Apparently Phillips #00 screwdrivers come in different sizes. Here's a photo I took of a couple screwdrivers, both of which say they are #00. The one on top came from an iPhone repair kit. The one on the bottom I bought from Sears.

Z1jMbRwl.jpg

EDIT: I just checked again and I also have a Phillips #0000 screwdriver from Sears that seems to be the same size as the #00 screwdriver from the iPhone repair kit. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.