Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1
ACAx1985
macrumors member

Refurbished -- who has bought one?

has anyone purchased a refurb from apple.com?

If so.. how is it? I am completely anal about my screens.. is it completely new/scratch free?
ACAx1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:53 AM   #2
soberbrain
macrumors 65816

Check out other threads.

From what I've previously read, it's pretty much like buying a new computer, but for less. With a new computer and a refurb sometimes there may be issues, but you can just bring it back to Apple and exchange for a new one.

I'm planning on getting a refurb next year.
soberbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 AM   #3
efp722
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAx1985 View Post
has anyone purchased a refurb from apple.com?

If so.. how is it? I am completely anal about my screens.. is it completely new/scratch free?
I bought a refurb touch last month and it was practically in brand new condition
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
RamblinWreck
macrumors regular

I bought a refurb Nano around three months ago. It was in brand new condition. Everything looked perfect, except for of course, the packaging.

I couldn't tell any difference from the one I purchased at the Apple store, except for the fact that the refurb restarts itself less Go figure!
RamblinWreck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:05 PM   #5
marbles
macrumors 68000

Go for it ,I've heard good things , same machines/ warranty etc , but not as much mon£y ! , ...... the box is not as colourful though .
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:59 AM   #6
dtklamf
Banned

i've resigned myself to pretty much only buying refurbs pretty much after 7 purchases.that's ipods,macbooks,MBP's.not a problem with any.who cares if it's a few models old
dtklamf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Veri
macrumors 6502a

Summary:
The tiniest scratch on e.g. the metal of a refurb will probably not count as justification for return, though maybe it would for the screen - call up and ask. If I was keen to see no scratches anywhere at all, I'd probably go new and buy in-store.

Experiences:
I got a refurb iMac that was nearly good as new - small blemish on side of case but otherwise clean, no more than a few hours of runtime according to SMART, even in white box packaging (though for a slightly different model with the same form factor!). It was unusually cheap since it was an educational model that I guess had found its way into the main store, and well worth it.

I recently got a few-month-old Nano on eBay and, while the seller indicated correctly that it was kept in great condition due to being used in a case that protects all but the click wheel (screen perfect), it still had slight marks on the back cover that I'd expect to come just from removing it from the case to recharge (as Apple advises, so it doesn't get too warm and shorten battery life).
Veri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:09 AM   #8
awr
macrumors member

refurb is the way to go, only diff. is the box . . . i've bought 3 ipods refurbed, just like new!
awr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Just today, I bought a refurb 80GB iPod in the Apple store; it was the only one in the store and they had warned me some weeks ago that "the channel was drying up"; they had hunted to get it for me and notified me yesterday that they had it; they also offered me one - the only one they had managed to track down - of the now almost legendary 160 GB iPods, but my music collection, while large, is not that enormous. Moreover, I don't want to watch videos on an iPod, my use is solely audio, so that capacity is lost on me.

Anyway, my current iPod 30 GB is two years old, and I wanted to have a decent replacement, good battery life and the classic is what I much prefer.
So, yes, I have bought one. As it happens, I have not set it up yet, or unpacked it. I like the anticipation, will set it up over the week-end but i do not anticipate any problems, and, if any crop up, I'm covered by the standard Apple warranty.

Cheers
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod