Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
PeteB
macrumors 6502a

iTunes 8 - How does "Genius" actually work?

Just an idle thought, I've not really played with it that much.

Just how does iTunes/genius know what songs go together? Is it based on what other users have got in their playlists that contain set songs? If so, can we expect the Genuis results to become better (or more diverse) over time for particular songs? Or is it more computational, looking at BPM and the "form" of the songs (however that could be calculated)...?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:18 AM   #2
bertpalmer
macrumors 6502

It works by comparing what you are listening to, to a huge database of music that is linked to songs in similar genre/style.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:47 AM   #3
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Just how does iTunes/genius know what songs go together? Is it based on what other users have got in their playlists that contain set songs?
As I understand it, yes.

Quote:
If so, can we expect the Genuis results to become better (or more diverse) over time for particular songs?
Yes. As more libraries are added, the predictions should improve.

Quote:
Or is it more computational, looking at BPM and the "form" of the songs (however that could be calculated)...?
I don't think it's that clever. I've seen a 140-155 BPM jump from tune to tune, although I don't have BPMs listed in iTunes. Maybe if I did, they'd be used but I have better things to do than measure the tempo and edit around 6,000 tunes, on the off chance that it may improve the playlists a bit!

To be honest, the genius feature puts some really good playlists together out of my library. I'm really looking forward to the iPhone update.

It's not perfect, though. Some tunes return an error, but I expect that to improve over time.
cal6n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4
hank-b
macrumors member

I was worried Genius wouldn't pick up files which I've ripped off vinyl (because I'm too cheap to buy them again on CD or the iTunes store), but it does - the "Lost in Music" selection below comes from ripped vinyl.

- HB, pleased with Genius
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itunes.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	134257  
hank-b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank-b View Post
I was worried Genius wouldn't pick up files which I've ripped off vinyl (because I'm too cheap to buy them again on CD or the iTunes store), but it does - the "Lost in Music" selection below comes from ripped vinyl.

- HB, pleased with Genius
As long as your ID3 tags are all in line and the stuff is available on iTunes, you're good to go.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:58 AM   #6
acxz
macrumors regular

If you've ever been on last.fm you'll get a pretty good idea of how it works. But instead of you typing in a search term, iTunes scans your ID3 tags.
acxz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:28 AM   #7
povman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
As long as your ID3 tags are all in line and the stuff is available on iTunes, you're good to go.
Actually, your music doesn't need to be on the iTunes Store. I have a whole lot of music that isn't available on ITMS but which still works with genius. Then again, I have music which IS on ITMS and which DOESN'T work with genius. Whatever
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:16 AM   #8
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

Because it's an obscure song I just searched the iTunes Store for Altered Images 'I Could Be Happy' and didn't find it. It's from vinyl, but Genius generated a list from it anyway.

Older jazz works, but some newer stuff doesn't. These are mostly from CDs.
jodelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:42 PM   #9
MatLane
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MatLane Send a message via Yahoo to MatLane Send a message via Skype™ to MatLane
Here you go

It takes information from your iTunes library and sends it anonymously to iTunes.

When you play one song, and select the genius it then makes a playlist of all the songs that you have that match that particular genre. Also sends you recommendations based on your iTunes library on songs to buy from the itunes store

Regards,

Mat
MatLane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:55 PM   #10
soberbrain
macrumors 65816

You mean it doesn't work like this???
soberbrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store