Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Just an idle thought, I've not really played with it that much.

Just how does iTunes/genius know what songs go together? Is it based on what other users have got in their playlists that contain set songs? If so, can we expect the Genuis results to become better (or more diverse) over time for particular songs? Or is it more computational, looking at BPM and the "form" of the songs (however that could be calculated)...?

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
It works by comparing what you are listening to, to a huge database of music that is linked to songs in similar genre/style.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Just how does iTunes/genius know what songs go together? Is it based on what other users have got in their playlists that contain set songs?

As I understand it, yes.

If so, can we expect the Genuis results to become better (or more diverse) over time for particular songs?

Yes. As more libraries are added, the predictions should improve.

Or is it more computational, looking at BPM and the "form" of the songs (however that could be calculated)...?

I don't think it's that clever. I've seen a 140-155 BPM jump from tune to tune, although I don't have BPMs listed in iTunes. Maybe if I did, they'd be used but I have better things to do than measure the tempo and edit around 6,000 tunes, on the off chance that it may improve the playlists a bit!

To be honest, the genius feature puts some really good playlists together out of my library. I'm really looking forward to the iPhone update.

It's not perfect, though. Some tunes return an error, but I expect that to improve over time.

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
I was worried Genius wouldn't pick up files which I've ripped off vinyl (because I'm too cheap to buy them again on CD or the iTunes store), but it does - the "Lost in Music" selection below comes from ripped vinyl.

- HB, pleased with Genius

Attachments

• itunes.jpg
    itunes.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,172

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I was worried Genius wouldn't pick up files which I've ripped off vinyl (because I'm too cheap to buy them again on CD or the iTunes store), but it does - the "Lost in Music" selection below comes from ripped vinyl.

- HB, pleased with Genius

As long as your ID3 tags are all in line and the stuff is available on iTunes, you're good to go.

acxz

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2007
If you've ever been on last.fm you'll get a pretty good idea of how it works. But instead of you typing in a search term, iTunes scans your ID3 tags.

povman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2006
Australia
As long as your ID3 tags are all in line and the stuff is available on iTunes, you're good to go.

Actually, your music doesn't need to be on the iTunes Store. I have a whole lot of music that isn't available on ITMS but which still works with genius. Then again, I have music which IS on ITMS and which DOESN'T work with genius. Whatever ;)

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Because it's an obscure song I just searched the iTunes Store for Altered Images 'I Could Be Happy' and didn't find it. It's from vinyl, but Genius generated a list from it anyway.

Older jazz works, but some newer stuff doesn't. These are mostly from CDs.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
Here you go

It takes information from your iTunes library and sends it anonymously to iTunes.

When you play one song, and select the genius it then makes a playlist of all the songs that you have that match that particular genre. Also sends you recommendations based on your iTunes library on songs to buy from the itunes store

Regards,

Mat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.