Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clayphish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new here and am seeking some help and guidance if you have it available! :D

Basically, I have a 12" 1.33ghz powerbook that's progressively gotten worse over time. The problem started occasionally with the clock drifting and the computer freezing after waking from its sleep. After booting, everything would be fine again and the problem wouldn't happen for a couple weeks or a month. But then it got worse, where it would freeze but wouldn't boot after the first try. This went on for a few weeks, where now it won't even boot anymore. What I get is the boot chime followed by the grey screen without the apple icon. I can still use the reboot key commands, but that's it.

Has anyone had a similar problems, know what might be happening or have an idea of how to fix it?

Thanks for your time and help~!

CLayton

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sounds like you may be having a PMU or PRAM problem. Likely you need to simply reset your PMU and maybe your PRAM. If that doesn't help, you may need to replace your PRAM battery.

TEG

Clayphish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Great! Its working after reseting the PMU. Thanks TEG!

Can I ask how to prevent this from happening in the future? Also the Clock was again way off... could this be a PRAM battery problem?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Great! Its working after reseting the PMU. Thanks TEG!

Can I ask how to prevent this from happening in the future? Also the Clock was again way off... could this be a PRAM battery problem?

This just happens from time to time. Fixing the PRAM battery may be the Clock culprit.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.