Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If you haven't heard about this program or are were waiting for it to go Public, today is the day! This program allows you 2Gb of space to store whatever files you want and then from your Mac (Finder) or Windows (Windows Explorer) or Linux, or even your browser you have access to those files from anywhere. Its really quite simple and ingenious.

http://www.getdropbox.com

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Agreed. I've been running the beta for a couple of months, and it's been working without a hitch, which is more than I can say for my iDisk/MobileMe combo. One of those rare products that 'just works' ..... :apple:;)

0mie

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
This is a sweet little app. I like it. I have a lot of stuff and I need to sort it out before I upload anything. It's SLOWS down my computer a lot when it's running, probably because its processing a lot of files. So I will just upload what I need.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
has anyone had problems with dropbox and certain file types?

my applescript application (bundles) dont work on my 2nd computer

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Dropbox has worked great for me throughout the beta phase. It's WAY faster than iDisk, which I still have (but perhaps not for long). Let's hope it doesn't slow down when they bring more users on board.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
has anyone had problems with dropbox and certain file types?

my applescript application (bundles) dont work on my 2nd computer

I haven't had any problems with Applescripts, and on the Dropbox forums they told me that the Dropbox folder on each computer is a local folder so any files should behave as any other file.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Dropbox has worked great for me throughout the beta phase. It's WAY faster than iDisk, which I still have (but perhaps not for long). Let's hope it doesn't slow down when they bring more users on board.

The files on the server side are hosted on Amazon S3, so hopefully there won't be any issues when the user base scales up

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
wow. holy moly. that's amazing. I hope it works as well as the video shows. How do they make their money?

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
At the moment, they don't. They're going to start charging for additional storage once it leaves beta.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Heh..not only was the video demo educational, it was somewhat humorous. Sending love songs to billg@microsoft.com and seeing his buddy's reply in iChat "why do you keep sending me this crap" when he demoed the file sharing.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Heh..not only was the video demo educational, it was somewhat humorous. Sending love songs to billg@microsoft.com and seeing his buddy's reply in iChat "why do you keep sending me this crap" when he demoed the file sharing.

I actually laughed when I saw that, I think the video is great, it's not one of those super cheesy "HI, MY NAMES JAMES, I'M HERE TO SHOW YOU DROPBOX, THE PREMIER BLAH BLAH BLAH", it's done by one guy, recording with what I'm guessing was SnapsXPro. I liked the Obama pic too :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.