Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikemonkeys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows if this: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html Would work well on my Macbook Pro. I have a 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro with the 128 MB VRAM. I know that it says that it needs 256 MB but will it work at all? I would have to run it in Parallels. I doubt it will work though. So does anyone have any alternatives?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows if this: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html Would work well on my Macbook Pro. I have a 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro with the 128 MB VRAM. I know that it says that it needs 256 MB but will it work at all? I would have to run it in Parallels. I doubt it will work though. So does anyone have any alternatives?

http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonder650/usbmac/index.html
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/home.en.html

both are native Mac OS X

ilikemonkeys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Those are all fine and dandy but I need something to record from Component. The HD-PVR was perfect until I realized I didn't wait long enough before I bought my Macbook Pro. What will the main problem be when I try to record from it though?

ilikemonkeys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Does it matter for the VRAM if I don't even preview the recorded video while it's recording? Would I still be able to record without frame drops? Why does the PVR require 256 VRAM on the Graphics card?

CrazyPheel

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
As for the recording requirements, I think those are only guidelines for playback.

I have the HD-PVR unit and recording content just fine, and I have a fairly new macbook (year old)

here are my system specs (note: I went overkill with the RAM, and just went ahead and maxed it out at 4GB)....anyways:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version: 1.24f2
Serial Number: W874363EZ63
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

As for my setup, I have the software running on Windows XP SP 2 in boot camp, and have my setup to just do record in 720p.

I tried parallels, and I initally thought it wasn't working right, but I think but it could've been okay, it might have just been that there are some issues with VLC and interlaced video @ 1080i.

The wonderful issues you might run into is what to do with the slightly non-standard TS file that you get from your recording, VLC does fine, but to get it editable in "affordable"/free software you might have to jump through a few hoops.

MikeEvangelist

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Mike, so if I have a mac, all I need to do it buy eyetv and I can use the HD-PVR to capture stuff in OS X without having to run windows?

Yes, that's correct. But be aware it takes a relatively beefy Mac to play the H.264 HD recordings made with the HD-PVR. Core 2 Duo is recommended.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008

I was wondering if you ever bought the Hauppauge HD-PVR and if so, what are your thoughts on it's performance? I'm in two minds whether to get it, i'm worried it's composite/s-video converting won't be as good as Canopus models, considering they are more expensive and have great reviews while the hauppage loooks looks cheap and almost too good to be true (rare to find component input, period).

zx7rgirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Re Hd Pvr

Hi there,

I bought my MBP in Sep. 08. I bought the HD PVR and then eyetv; I tell you - I was stunned at how smooth and flawless this set-up is.
Hi Def shows on your mac are awesome! You are recording using the component-out, (and optical audio if you choose) -- which is prob 99% as good as HDMI. My component cables are THX-cert tho - quality does matter for component cables, not for hdmi.
I digress- bottom line, I am soooo happy I can archive my hi-def shows onto my mac, and edit them with eyetv too.
Plus, if you click on the folder and show expanded stuff - then you can see the native mpg file, which can be played on other gadgets like popcorn hour and wdtv...
Not to mention my popcorn hour detected the eyetv and played back the streamed files to perfection. I never would have been able to tell the show I was watching was not a live HD broadcast.
Sorry to ramble, I need sleep - but I thought I would pass along my hearty praise of Hauppauge and the eyetv software :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I use a Hauppauge HD-PVR and it works fine using Elgato's EyeTV app.

I'm using an iMac 3.06 C2D w the NVidia 8800 GS 512 MB VRam.

The app uses about 30% CPU. It really will depend on the CPU and OS version.

I just wish Elgato would support the H.264 Video and 5.1 audio in the same container instead of recording separate video and 5.1 audio.

But they're both excellent products.

hskrsrock2011

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
I know that one of my main pains with the EyeTV software was the fact that I couldn't record the video in widescreen (Or at least not to the best of my knowledge). Though that wasn't my biggest problem. My biggest would have to be the recording quality, which wasn't up to my standards. Not saying that the EyeTV 250 Plus has bad quality, I just have high standards. Can anybody tell me whether I'd have those two problems (Just for a reminder, record in widescreen and great quality) with using the Hauppauge HD PVR with the software EyeTV.

Side note: And when I say widescreen I don't mean changing the aspect ratio option, which chops of the top and bottom. I mean when you hook up the capture card (In this case the Hauppauge HD PVR) the display that is shown is in widescreen, and the video is in widescreen while the aspect ratio is "Automatic". Sorry, just wanted to be specific in that category. One of my pet peeves is fullscreen when widescreen is possible :p (Ex. Youtube videos).

Neejoh

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
You guys have been a great help so far, though I have another question.

Besides Elgato eyetv3, what would be considered good software to capture the stream the HD-PVR is throwing at the mac?

[edit]Let me clarify my question for a second. I will be using it for capturing games I play at the Xbox 360. All I want it to do is record the stream and then edit it (maybe even in iMovie?) I don't need all that tv-recording/pause and tv-guide features.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
You guys have been a great help so far, though I have another question.

Besides Elgato eyetv3, what would be considered good software to capture the stream the HD-PVR is throwing at the mac?

[edit]Let me clarify my question for a second. I will be using it for capturing games I play at the Xbox 360. All I want it to do is record the stream and then edit it (maybe even in iMovie?) I don't need all that tv-recording/pause and tv-guide features.

You should look into HDPVRCapture.

arjun747

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Will the hauppauge work with my mac (please reply)

Ok.. i have a imac and im using the elgato 250+ but i heard that eyeTV supports hauppauge and its an option.

its spose require 256mb VRAM.. but some people are using it fine with 144..

These are my specs someone tell me if it will work please.

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2400
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x94c8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250A-207
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.207
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

thank you.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
That should be fine, although I haven't been able to get to work correctly with eye tv. You can get the mac application hdpvrcapture which has been specifically created by a hauppague engineer for the mac. It works brilliantly, and puts the hd recordings directly into iTunes Fully customizable, with advanced options, and the recordings are beautiful. I use it to record my 360, although it's not fast enough to play the recording in real time on my mac.

arjun747

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
That should be fine, although I haven't been able to get to work correctly with eye tv. You can get the mac application hdpvrcapture which has been specifically created by a hauppague engineer for the mac. It works brilliantly, and puts the hd recordings directly into iTunes Fully customizable, with advanced options, and the recordings are beautiful. I use it to record my 360, although it's not fast enough to play the recording in real time on my mac.

What do u mean real time because im doing xbox 360 videos as well on my mac using final cut. i dont mind if it laggs on quick time or final cut but when i upload onto youtube will it have same frame-rate?

because when i record from COD4 on mac.. its laggy but the actual game is laggy because theres a screen recorder.. is there framloss when u put the exported file into ur editor or upload or something like that?

(can u post your graphics and processor specs please)

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I mean realtime as in you can't record and play on your mac at the same time, there us around a 5 second delay. But the hdpvr has a passthrough to your tv, which plays with no delay. The delay doesn't affect the recording.

I have the 3.06 iMac with the nvidia graphics & 4gb ram

one other tip if you do buy this, make sure you set your 360 to 720p not 1080i. The hdpvr seems to handle it better, and mac applications FCE & iMovie are able to handle it better.

arjun747

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
I mean realtime as in you can't record and play on your mac at the same time, there us around a 5 second delay. But the hdpvr has a passthrough to your tv, which plays with no delay. The delay doesn't affect the recording.

one other tip if you do buy this, make sure you set your 360 to 720p not 1080i. The hdpvr seems to handle it better, and mac applications FCE & iMovie are able to handle it better.

oh yeah i know same with the elgato it has a delay.

arjun747

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009

you have 3.06 imac and i have a 2.00 imac

and you probably have 256 VRAM so how do you know it will work on mine

(even if 720p didnt work) i could still play in 420p but HD (theres a big difference between HD n SD)

arjun747

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
+(might be off topic) but i cant find a ny other thread,

how come the new top 3 imacs have 256, 256, and 512 mb of VRAM but the worst one it says:

*256mb of vram SHARED with the memory* what does that mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.