Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Of razors and blades... How Apple has managed to slice its o...

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Of razors and blades... How Apple has managed to slice its own genes into Windows DNA

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:32 PM   #2
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
good read and i much agree. liked this part of the article:
"The deal was a strategic coup for Mr. Jobs, as was evident in the reaction from Dave Fester, general manager of the Windows digital media division at Microsoft, who accused Hewlett of limiting consumer choice by including Apple music software instead of Microsoft software on its PC's. Many in the industry found irony in the remark: Microsoft is typically the one accused of limiting the public's choice with its industry-dominant Windows operating system."

this pretty much sums up why i hate m$ and why i'll never use their op sys. it's always nice to see the bully get theirs handed to them once in a while
Old Jan 19, 2004, 01:45 PM   #3
nickfit
macrumors member

The author, though, mixes up the analogy. Shouldn't downloaded songs be the razor (loss leader) and iPods be the blades (profit maker).

Nevertheless, I really do love the ironic comment by MS in response to the HP/Apple deal.
nickfit is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2004, 02:12 PM   #4
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Yeah the iPod makes the money, the Songs don't.

Anyway having Quicktime or iTunes on a PC is good.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2004, 03:42 PM   #5
Nermal

Quote:
Originally posted by nickfit
The author, though, mixes up the analogy. Shouldn't downloaded songs be the razor (loss leader) and iPods be the blades (profit maker).
No, because you buy one iPod, and several songs. The article specifically mentions that only Apple could sell the razor at a profit and blades at a loss.

Reminds me of printer ink
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:02 PM   #6
eazyway
macrumors regular

Quote:

Nevertheless, I really do love the ironic comment by MS in response to the HP/Apple deal.

The point is correct. Usually the hardware was sold as the loss leader for the add ons. Jobs did the exact opposite.
eazyway is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2004, 01:43 AM   #7
NP3
macrumors regular

Good article.

It points out the (i think commonly overlooked) fact that with iTunes coming to HP, not only is it getting iTunes and iPod support, but Rendezvous and Quicktime installed on every HP computer.

This is a huge help for Quicktime in its fight against Windows Media Player.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:11 AM   #8
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's not the analogy he's using. Razor is the big thing, which you put the blades into. You buy one razor, many blades. Thus, the razor is the iPod, and the blades are the songs.

Well, at last we see a smart journalist you knows what he's talking about write an article about the Apple-HP deal. Good stuff.

irmongoose
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:06 PM   #9
Spock
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Spock Send a message via Yahoo to Spock
Are the HP-iPods shipping yet? and if not when?
Spock is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion