Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 14, 2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Toonfly
macrumors newbie

Strange "Boing Boing.....Boing!" Sound on MacBook

I hope someone can help.

Ever since I got my MacBook it does a "Boing-Boing......Boing" sound-effect every now and again and I have no idea what it is. None of my dock icons bounce, it's not new email messages......I just don't have a clue.

If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Ta
Toonfly

Last edited by Toonfly; Sep 14, 2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: better description of sound
Toonfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:40 AM   #2
johto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonfly View Post
I hope someone can help.

Ever since I got my MacBook it does a "Boing-Boing......Boing" sound-effect every now and again and I have no idea what it is. None of my dock icons bounce, it's not new email messages......I just don't have a clue.

If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd really appreciate it.

Ta
Toonfly

Huh? Do you press some keyboard keys when it sounds?
johto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Toonfly
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johto View Post
Huh? Do you press some keyboard keys when it sounds?
Nope, I'm not even touching the computer half the time. I'm pretty good with computers but this one is really stumping me.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:04 AM   #4
johto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonfly View Post
Nope, I'm not even touching the computer half the time. I'm pretty good with computers but this one is really stumping me.
How often it appears? Try creating another account and see if its ok. Then at least you can pinpoint it to a software. Its some program you have running on the background...
Are you sure its not a program you have running, like skype, instant messenger and so on?
johto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Toonfly
macrumors newbie

I do have skype & ichat running but there's never anything new on them or any other program (ie no new messages, missed calls or anything, anywhere) that I can see.

I was kinda hoping that the (admittedly bad) description of the noise might ring a bell with someone. It's like something "bouncing" or someone on a pogo stick (ish).
Old Sep 14, 2008, 07:19 AM   #6
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Check your clock settings. You can have a sound for 15, 30 and 60 minute intervals if I remember correctly so you could be hearing that. Kind of like a church bell ringing every hour.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Toonfly
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
Check your clock settings. You can have a sound for 15, 30 and 60 minute intervals if I remember correctly so you could be hearing that. Kind of like a church bell ringing every hour.
Nope, that's not it. Those settings not switched on. The noise is def not like church bells.

"boing boing" (straight after each other)
then small pause
"boing"
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:05 PM   #8
SnapperNZ
macrumors newbie

I think I have the answer....

Do you use Firefox?

If so, do you have the FEBE Extensions Backup Add-on installed?

I HAD been looking to the answer to this issue myself and have just found it - I am replying to this thread after reading it myself a couple of weeks ago in my hunt for the issue.

My FEBE Backup Add-on makes the noise moments before the backup is due to start.

The FEBE backup "icon" can be found right a the very bottom left of your Firefox window - it looks like a small analogue clock - click on it when the noise starts and hey presto, it stops the backup and the noise also stops!

You can turn the sound(s) off in the FEBE Preferences, within the Options Tab. You can also reproduce the noise to prove it's the one you thought it was - as I have just done

Hope this helps!

Darren

Last edited by SnapperNZ; Dec 6, 2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: More information...
SnapperNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

FOUND the problem. There was an "alert" setting in Entourage that made the noise to announce there was NO mail. How helpful is that?

Anyway, I turned it off - "boing" gone....

Just curious, do you use Entourage? Found this bit on the Apple discussion boards.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:20 PM   #10
KompleX
macrumors regular

is the sound coming from the speakers? meaning are the speakers producing the sound or is it coming from inside the computer as if an internal component were acting up?
Power Macintosh Beige G3 1GHz, 768MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
KompleX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Toonfly
macrumors newbie

The sound is coming from the speakers. Intuition would say that it's a program causing it but I have no idea which one. No dock icons bounce and there seems no good reason whatsoever for the noise.

Confused.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:25 PM   #12
i.shaun
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to i.shaun
I have a similar Problem, and I've yet to pinpoint it's origin or cause.

No boing sound, but it is a sound, and it repeats at almost random intervals. I will have to write down the approximate time I hear them, and see if there is any pattern arising.

Now for the explination of the sound...

You know when you have a pop up window that either says "OK" or both "OK" & "Cancel" -- and when you try to click anywhere outside the window without choosing an option, it will pop back up infront and make -- the sound?

Also, if you try to CMD+C something with nothing selected, it will make -- the sound.

Well I don't even touch the computer and it seems to make -- the sound at random intervals. I'm not entirely sure if it is random, but I will run a small investigation to see.

17" iMac, OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, 32GB iPod Touch, Airport Extreme
i.shaun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Mintladd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy_doofy View Post
FOUND the problem. There was an "alert" setting in Entourage that made the noise to announce there was NO mail. How helpful is that?

Anyway, I turned it off - "boing" gone....

Just curious, do you use Entourage? Found this bit on the Apple discussion boards.
Thank so much for telling me about this!

I have been driven batty by the boing boings for 18months!
Mintladd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:28 PM   #14
malcolmd83
macrumors newbie

My Culprit: Skype

In case someone else stumbles across this thread: my "random" boing noise was caused by Skype: Preferences -> Notifications -> Event: Contact Becomes Available. Since that can happen anytime you're signed in, and there's no "obvious" message/event, it's hard to pin down.
malcolmd83 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:06 PM   #15
davkt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmd83 View Post
In case someone else stumbles across this thread: my "random" boing noise was caused by Skype: Preferences -> Notifications -> Event: Contact Becomes Available. Since that can happen anytime you're signed in, and there's no "obvious" message/event, it's hard to pin down.
Thanks! Have finally pinned down what has been bing boinging at me almost as long as I've had my Macbook!
davkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
AnaMelissa
macrumors newbie

Thanl You!

Quote:
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! i bet you didnt expect an answer years later but it helped! it was driving me crazy!

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!
AnaMelissa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:49 AM   #17
sejjica
macrumors newbie

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! there are so many people asking this question on the net and this is the only thread with the answer

thank you sooo much
sejjica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:01 PM   #18
revmomma
macrumors newbie

Annoying "boing" and "chit" sounds

Thanks to all your posts, I was finally able to track down where these annoying alerts were coming from... it was in the mail notification for Outlook. Thank you all.
revmomma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:12 AM   #19
vanillame
macrumors newbie

Quote:
that was my case too, THANK YOU GOOD MAN!!! The sound really drove my creasy, thank you!
vanillame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 AM   #20
falux
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thank you! I specifically signed up to thank you!

That blob bloob ... blib was about to cost me my remaining sanity.
falux is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help