Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 14, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
dbarbanti
macrumors newbie

G5 Malfunctioning using DVI-HDMI Cable ???

My Power Mac G5 is connected to my Sony HDTV using a brand new DVI-HDMI cable ($80 at Radio Shack). The second I plugged it in, both the TV and the Monitor went black. I only had picture for a couple minutes in 3 - 5 second intervals. It never straightened itself out. I restarted, same thing. Has this happened to anyone? It's as if the TV was drawing power away from my Apple Cinema display (non-HD...the older one). Heres my computer info:

Power Mac G5
2GB memory
Dual 250 GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL
dbarbanti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Lord Zedd
Banned

$80? You got ROYALLY screwed! There is no reason at all to pay more than $10 for a DVI to HDMI adapter. HDMI IS DVI!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...57&dcaid=17902

Take that cable back and get a refund!
Lord Zedd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
macz1
macrumors 6502

if it's a good cable of a couple of meters it's not too expensive, a DVI/HDMI adapter does not help much if you want to put your TV more than 3cm away from your computer...

To solve your problem I would try playing around with the resolutions of the two screens, enable mirroring, lower refresh rate, attach cable, but don't connect to TV, switch DVI connectors... if the problem persists it could also be a bad cable, causing some errors in the signal transmission...
macz1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
bbq2k
macrumors newbie

I have a G5, too

I'm interested to know the cable length, and whether you run it through a receiver. Please follow-up with how this pans out for you because I'm following in your footsteps (maybe!)
bbq2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
dbarbanti
macrumors newbie

It's 10 feet. I'm going to try lowering the resolution on my Cinema display. If I could keep picture up long enough to mess with the settings on the TV display, that might help. My IT guy at work gave me that similar solution.
dbarbanti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 05:27 AM   #6
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zedd View Post
$80? You got ROYALLY screwed! There is no reason at all to pay more than $10 for a DVI to HDMI adapter. HDMI IS DVI!

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...57&dcaid=17902

Take that cable back and get a refund!

Yes adapters are cheap, (10ft) cables with adapters are NOT

OTOH, $80 does sound just a tad high.........IIRC I've seen them for around $50 at wallyworld & bustybuy......

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs