Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I have an ibook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.1 and I would like to install a disc with Mac OS X 10.5.2. Somehow, it doesn't allow me to install. What am i doing wrong ???

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
What speed is your iBook (for example, 1.42 GHz or 800 MHz)? Leopard needs an 867 MHz or higher G4 to install. Just to be sure, you are using a legitimate retail DVD of Leopard, right?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Well, that answers that then. You need a full retail version of Leopard to install - the system restore disks that come from each system will only work on the system type they came with. Your MacBook system restores will only work with similar MacBooks, not your iBook.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I thought that as well, but I when I read the instructions, it clearly stated that it is also for PPCs

Thank you again,

igmolinav.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I'm not sure what instructions you are talking about, but perhaps it was referring to Leopard itself which certainly IS compatible with PPC or Intel Macs- it is just the particular disk you are trying to use that is not usable with your iBook.

A regular retail Leopard disk will work just fine on the MacBook OR the iBook. BTW- the retail disks being sold now have the updated 10.5.4 on them too.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

ok. I would need to empty my HD in order to install it, right ??

thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
You don't HAVE to- when you start the installer on the Leopard disk you can do an "Archive and Install" type of install which will keep a lot of stuff (including most of the Users folder) in place, and will keep other stuff it is not sure of in a separate folder.

If you want a totally clean install, then you would use the option at the start of installation to "Erase and Install" which will format your drive first, cleaning off everything on it. For the most problem free installation of all this is the choice to make.

You could also choose "Upgrade", but that is the weakest choice for safety anyway, as it just updates the components of the existing OS installation and can turn out to have difficulties.

Always make sure you have a FULL backup of your existing data before using any of the choices unless you have nothing on the drive that you want to save.

hiddenpremise

macrumors regular
You can not install an operating system older than your computer. Apple does not take steps to prevent it most of the time, but it usually won't install. This is especially true in mobile computers where components and drivers change from revision to revision.

edit_
dyslexia got the best of me, i was thinking you were asking about 10.2

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You can not install an operating system older than your computer. Apple does not take steps to prevent it most of the time, but it usually won't install. This is especially true in mobile computers where components and drivers change from revision to revision.
In this case the poster wishes to install an OS on an older Mac (the opposite of what you mention), and the issue is that the version that came on the install disk is the Intel-only one, not the PPC one that's also included on the official Leopard disks.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....and again it seems to need to be said - even if you were able to install the Macbook disc version on your old iBook, you are not licensed to do so....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.