Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taibant

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Sorry mac users, this is a windows only tutorial!

first thing you need to do is download Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com)

Open irfanview, and click the open button (first button in the tool bar)

Navigate to the folder that contains your iPhone backups:

In Vista:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

In XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Inside this folder there will be a few folders (I had four). Each is either a different phone setup, or a different set of backups. Check the last modified date on the folder to decide which to explore first.

Make sure that the preview active check box is checked, and select the first file in the list.
Using your Arrow key, arrow down until a photo appears in the preview box.

If this is a photo you wish to save, open it and click File, Save As, and resave the picture as a proper JPG.

I find this easiest if you sort the files by size before opening one, and making a mental note of which file you were on (by its size). My folder had around 500 files in it, so this may take you a while, but just be patient!

hope this helps someone!
let me know if you have any questions

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
So, when I delete photos, they're not really deleted? So, if I sell my iPhone someday, if the person is clever and reads this thread, they can find all of my deleted photos?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So, when I delete photos, they're not really deleted? So, if I sell my iPhone someday, if the person is clever and reads this thread, they can find all of my deleted photos?

No, they’re deleted. All the OP was doing was opening up the backup and copying camera roll pics. So, once you delete a pic off the iPhone and backup, the new backup won’t have that pic (but an older backup would).

lilbowties

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
hey, can anyone help me? i am trying to recover my deleted photos from my iphone.

i did the steps as above and managed to see what was last backed in my backup folder. when i want to rename some, this was prompted

"Cant read file header..Unknown file format or file not found!
(for unicode file names please activate the unicode plugin in properties > language"

there are about 5000 over files in that backup file.

what should i do?

Ephoenix

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
You can recover deleted photos in iPhone with the help of iPhone Data Recovery. It’s so convenient to operate.

If you want to delete some photos completely, you can log in iCloud with Apple ID. Click user name. When a window pops up, click advanced. Then click reset photo stream.

There are also other convenient way to recover deleted iPhone photos here. You can click here to learn.

Hope this can help you.

Last edited:

MustangDave84

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Still can't find photos

I still can't find recent photos. The last time I backed up my phone was almost a year ago. I found pictures from backups using irfanview but where are my other photos since after the backup

robinko

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
it's a extractor

So, it's a extractor? can view what's in the backup files and copy them out? This would be use if I lost my phone.

300DDR

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I still can't find recent photos. The last time I backed up my phone was almost a year ago. I found pictures from backups using irfanview but where are my other photos since after the backup

If you didn't connect to your Mac and "backup" then the pics won't be there. The only hope would be you setup Photosteam and they are on there(?).

----------

So, it's a extractor? can view what's in the backup files and copy them out? This would be use if I lost my phone.

Yes, it can "understand" the backup format and show you the files inside. But it cannot recover files from the phone directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.