Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fontano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
What are you using to manage your Source Code, and provide any form of Version Control.

For now, I have just been making backups to a Flash stick, and a 2nd computer... but I would like to do something a little more elegant...

Possible CVS or something similar.

nokq

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2003
What are you using to manage your Source Code, and provide any form of Version Control.

For now, I have just been making backups to a Flash stick, and a 2nd computer... but I would like to do something a little more elegant...

If your doing solo development like myself, you could substitute the xcode snapshot feature. I've used it exclusively. Otherwise go with svn.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
I use SVN. It's great and REALLY easy to set up (esp if you have a spare mac).

Encryptic

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008

CVS is a bit more out of date, most people are using Subversion (SVN [Free]) or Perforce (P4 [Paid]) in commercial development.

Both of which integrate into XCode.

If you're serious about managing your source code, use of a VPS (Instead of using a spare computer, I prefer things being hosted off-site) isn't a bad solution, considering you can get one setup for $20/month and then throw in daily backups for another few dollars a month.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We use SVN, most of the time via the command line. Unfortunately XCode SVN Integration is simply terrible, breaks way too often for its own good.

brownsocks

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
I concur with Aea, I had problems with the source control integration initially,granted I did not give it much time, and now I am using SVN from the command line and it works just fine for me.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
free subversion hosting

this may be helpful to some...
I was looking into source control myself and since I prefer to use an off-site SVN server I searched online for subversion hosting. I found a site called http://projectlocker.com/ that offers free hosting for up to 5 team members and 500MB. For my purpose this is sufficient. I am not affiliated with the company just thought I'd share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.