Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I JailBreak 2.1?

• Total voters

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
i havent jailbroken my iphone 3g yet..jailbroke my 2g a when i had it..what is the point of jailbreaking when the appstore is available? What "different" apps are available that arent there in the appstore?

Is it worth risking the "instability" and bugs?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
If you don't think you need to then don't jailbreak. If you need to jailbreak you'll know it and won't need to ask. :)

On the other hand, you can always jailbreak and then unjailbreak if you want to. At least you can see how the other side lives.

Personally i need to jailbreak :)

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
If you don't think you need to then don't jailbreak. If you need to jailbreak you'll know it and won't need to ask. :)

On the other hand, you can always jailbreak and then unjailbreak if you want to. At least you can see how the other side lives.

Personally i need to jailbreak :)

Me too-Winterboard and Cycorder alone are worth it...

myemaildw

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2008
i havent jailbroken my iphone 3g yet..jailbroke my 2g a when i had it..what is the point of jailbreaking when the appstore is available? What "different" apps are available that arent there in the appstore?

Is it worth risking the "instability" and bugs?

I need cause I bought my iphone second hand without original sim. I have to jailbreak in order to pass the activation screen. Also who wouldn't mind having cracked apps from App Store? I cracked Anatomy app :) that cost $35 I need it cause I'm a broken Med student. :( Google mobalinstallation for 2.1 firmware

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
I need cause I bought my iphone second hand without original sim. I have to jailbreak in order to pass the activation screen. Also who wouldn't mind having cracked apps from App Store? I cracked Anatomy app :) that cost $35 I need it cause I'm a broken Med student. :( Google mobalinstallation for 2.1 firmware

haha such bs. a med student that can't afford 35$? righttt. no students are that broke. especially ones with IPHONES.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I've been jailbroken since the day I bought my first generation iPhone. It was fun for a while...I got to install all the free apps/games I wanted from Pirate Bay. I got to play with themes, video recorders, an NES emulator, etc... yeah, it was fun...but then the fun slowly started to die. Playing with all the new and somewhat useless apps from Cydia/Installer, and breaking my phone and having to restore got old. I've been un-jailbroken since 2.1 came out and I don't miss a thing. I have a few free games/apps and a few paid ones...it's all I need. 2.1 is noticeably smoother, ie 'snappier'. Now if Apple would only add cut/copy/paste and a video app sometime before the world disappears on October 21:(
I voted to eat a hamburger.

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
We all get to meet our maker on October 21 when the Large Hadron Collider causes the universe to get sucked into its own butthole.

That, or if on October 21, a Tuesday, Apple still hasn't announced new MacBooks, the collective force of countless heads exploding in MacRumors threads will collapse upon itself, sucking the universe down with it.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I jailbreak mostly just to install my Leopard theme. :D

Here's what it looks like now:

photo-3.jpg

But also for Cycorder on occasions. That's about it, really...

eddydorantes141

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I heard rumors that an iphone with 2.0 software or higher can be jailbroken and keep its purchased apps. Is this possible? and is it available for windows?

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

Lawl, so you're a student attending Med School that can afford to have both an iPhone and its expensive service costs, but you can't afford a 35 dollar app? Lame. People like you make me laugh. I bet you're typing this from your Macbook Pro, in a nice upscale apartment or even home that your parents pay for. It sucks for these developers who put a lot of time and work into these apps, and have these people stealing their apps, even if you really can't afford it I don't see how thats an excuse. A lot of these developers are students like yourself who also need the money, its not right. As much as I would love free apps and certainly could if I wanted, I would rather support these devs who are mostly average guys doing it on their own. I mean Christ most of these apps are 5 bucks or less you really get good value out of most apps and games, are people really that cheap?

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
We all get to meet our maker on October 21 when the Large Hadron Collider causes the universe to get sucked into its own butthole.

Do you believe that? If this were even possible, the Earth would have been destroyed long before Humans were even born. Cosmic rays smash into the Earth all the time that release far more energy than the Hadron Collider will release.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
did you actually pay for that crap?

I tried it and it works well. To me, this is the sort of application that is worth $10. Not Super Monkey Ball. The great thing is that all you do is fire up the application on your Mac or PC and it creates the ad hoc network and sets up the proxy settings all automatically. Then when you're done you just hit disconnect.

It is much faster than manually doing it. I've tried the whole locations thing, it never works right for me.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Do you believe that? If this were even possible, the Earth would have been destroyed long before Humans were even born. Cosmic rays smash into the Earth all the time that release far more energy than the Hadron Collider will release.

No, I don't really believe it...I just want it to happen so I can finally meet God, and fly around through the clouds in my brand new angel wings, and relax all day smoking my heavenly hash pipe, and...stuff like that.

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I tried it and it works well. To me, this is the sort of application that is worth $10. Not Super Monkey Ball. The great thing is that all you do is fire up the application on your Mac or PC and it creates the ad hoc network and sets up the proxy settings all automatically. Then when you're done you just hit disconnect.

It is much faster than manually doing it. I've tried the whole locations thing, it never works right for me.

Which application is this? Thanks.

I also find it annoying that the network Location in System Preferences does not remember my AirPort or proxy setup, so every time I want to tether I have to manually go through the steps of setting up an ad-hoc wifi network, and then enabling the SOX proxy. It only takes a couple of minutes, but it would be nice to have a program that does it all in one step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.