Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
nuncvendetta
macrumors newbie

"Phantom" iPhone data usage overnight showing up on bill

I recently noticed on my at&t bill, that my iPhone connects to media net several times a day when I know I'm not using it (like at 2 a.m. or 6 a.m. when I know I've been sleeping and when I always have it in Airplane Mode with wifi off). It lists it in my data usage as Internet/Media Net Sent, and the size varies. I have seen it as small as 1kb, and as large as 900kb. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have any ideas what is going on here? In addition to it being in Airplane Mode, I don't have any e-mail accounts set up, nor do I have anything set to auto-check. Sure, I'm not paying since we have unlimited data, but I still wonder what exactly is my phone sending even in Airplane Mode. Do you think it might just be that the times on the bill don't correspond with the actual time at which the data was sent?
nuncvendetta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
trunksu
macrumors 6502

hmm i know the phone sends random pings (or something) at random times (since 1st gen) but i'm really surprised it did it even with the Airplane mode on. i would have thought airplane mode would completely stop the cell signal.
trunksu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:58 AM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

It could be possible that the times posted aren't corresponding to the actual usage times. Anyone who's experienced AT&T OLAM knows that the billing tiumes and estimates arent' always right. The bill usually is accurate in terms of how much data was transferred, but not always when it happened.

I always noticed this one day after my billing cycle refreshes, and my usage estimates would start showing SMS messages and data sent and received when I hadn't even begun to text or use my phone that day yet. It's always stuff from the last days of the previous cycle that hadn't filtered into the billing system yet.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone