Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just booked the plane tickets for my trip next year to London and Berlin.

I have:
STL-ORD-LHR (United)
LHR-TXL (British Airways)
TXL-FRA-ORD-STL (TXL-FRA and FRA-ORD on Lufthansa, ORD-STL on United)

STL-LHR and TXL-STL were booked on United's website (the Lufthansa legs are codeshared). LHR-TXL was booked separately on the BA website.

I was able to choose my seats for the United legs. I found out on BA's website that I can't choose my seats until I check in for that flight. And I can't figure it out either way if I can choose my seats on the Lufthansa legs. When I try to choose them in my itinerary on United's site, it says it can't show the seat maps for those flights (or something like that) and Lufthansa's website doesn't seem to be telling me much either way. But I can't find anywhere on their site where I can view my itinerary, so do I have to wait until checkin for those too?

Also, I return home on March 8, 2009, which is daylight savings time in the US (we go forward an hour). Is DST observed in Germany, and specifically, is it on that day? I know the US moved it up earlier in 2007 and I wasn't sure if the rest of the world did either. I just need to know if before I go to bed on the 7th in Berlin, if I need to set my clock ahead. Last thing I need to do is miss a flight.

And I think I might've asked this before in a previous thread, but just to clarify, I know I'll go through customs when I land in London, and when I land in Chicago on the way home. I don't go through customs when I land in Berlin since they're both Schengen countries, right? When I return home, the US customs won't suspect anything's going on if the UK is stamped on my passport but I got off a flight from Germany, will they? This is my first time flying out of the country so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
.... And I can't figure it out either way if I can choose my seats on the Lufthansa legs. When I try to choose them in my itinerary on United's site, it says it can't show the seat maps for those flights (or something like that) and Lufthansa's website doesn't seem to be telling me much either way. But I can't find anywhere on their site where I can view my itinerary, so do I have to wait until checkin for those too?

.... I don't go through customs when I land in Berlin since they're both Schengen countries, right? When I return home, the US customs won't suspect anything's going on if the UK is stamped on my passport but I got off a flight from Germany, will they? This is my first time flying out of the country so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

with codeshares, you usually can't select your seat, at least that's my experience.

as for flying into Berlin & customs, since you're not an EU citizen (or so I assume) then you'll probably be sent to passport control. In the last couple of years I've flown between London and Spain, and also from Berlin to London. In both cases I had to present my passport while EU citizens didn't.......don't worry about it, US immigration won't care at all if you're "stamped" into the UK even though you get off a flight from Germany, they're used to such things. In any event, when you return you'll have to fill out a form that tells them what countries you visited on the trip.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Also, I return home on March 8, 2009, which is daylight savings time in the US (we go forward an hour). Is DST observed in Germany, and specifically, is it on that day? I know the US moved it up earlier in 2007 and I wasn't sure if the rest of the world did either. I just need to know if before I go to bed on the 7th in Berlin, if I need to set my clock ahead. Last thing I need to do is miss a flight.
Clocks go forward one hour on the last Sunday of March in Europe.
And I think I might've asked this before in a previous thread, but just to clarify, I know I'll go through customs when I land in London, and when I land in Chicago on the way home. I don't go through customs when I land in Berlin since they're both Schengen countries, right? When I return home, the US customs won't suspect anything's going on if the UK is stamped on my passport but I got off a flight from Germany, will they? This is my first time flying out of the country so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

The UK is NOT a Schengen Country, so you'll have to go through Passport Control and Customs when you get off your flight from London to Berlin. As you are taking a flight wholly within the EU, you'll use the 'BLUE' customs lane.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Sorry to bump the thread, but I wanted to interject. You should be able to select your seats with us on LH, even as a codeshare. If you enter your data from United on the lufthansa website, you'll be able to select your seats. The confirmation numbers are supposed to work across Star Alliance (sometimes they don't for some reason...). I do this twice a month without issue as all of my flights get stuck as codeshares on UA or US. If that doesn't work for you, call up the North American phone number and do it over the phone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sorry to bump the thread, but I wanted to interject. You should be able to select your seats with us on LH, even as a codeshare. If you enter your data from United on the lufthansa website, you'll be able to select your seats. The confirmation numbers are supposed to work across Star Alliance (sometimes they don't for some reason...). I do this twice a month without issue as all of my flights get stuck as codeshares on UA or US. If that doesn't work for you, call up the North American phone number and do it over the phone.

Where do I go to on LH's website? I went to My Bookings, but it wants me to login with a userid and password, which I don't have. Should I register, and then can I enter my confirmation number?

BTW, where do I want to sit on an A340 in coach? Normally, for domestic flights, I choose window seats, but I've never been on a flight for longer than 2 or 3 hours. I think I might start to feel cramped between the other guy and the window. What row/seat would you recommend?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Where do I go to on LH's website? I went to My Bookings, but it wants me to login with a userid and password, which I don't have. Should I register, and then can I enter my confirmation number?
Oh, I forget that I have a M&M account. You don't need to be a Miles and More member to register on their site. It might be easier, though, for you to just call the ticketing office before you leave. Selecting seats this far out is probably not a good idea, anyway, as they'd probably get switched between now and the time you leave.

BTW, where do I want to sit on an A340 in coach? Normally, for domestic flights, I choose window seats, but I've never been on a flight for longer than 2 or 3 hours. I think I might start to feel cramped between the other guy and the window. What row/seat would you recommend?
Is the late O'Hare flight still on a -300 or has it been upgraded to a 340-600? I have different recommendations for each one.

edit: just checked my timetable and it's a -600. I personally like the aisle seats (C, D, G and H) on long flights. You don't feel cramped and you have the chance to get up without disturbing anyone when the lights go out and everyone is sleeping. Walking around on those flights is a really good thing when you'd otherwise be sitting in the same spot for eight hours.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It's a 340-600. I'm on a 300 from TXL- FRA but I'm not too concerned with that one since it's a short flight

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
It's a 340-600. I'm on a 300 from TXL- FRA but I'm not too concerned with that one since it's a short flight
I edited my above post but figured to make a new one so that you'd see it.

just checked my timetable and it's a -600. I personally like the aisle seats (C, D, G and H) on long flights. You don't feel cramped and you have the chance to get up without disturbing anyone when the lights go out and everyone is sleeping. Walking around on those flights is a really good thing when you'd otherwise be sitting in the same spot for eight hours. Go for row 26 (or wherever doors 3 are). You get more legroom. Also, be sure to leech off of the consistent supply of food that they place below the cabin near the restrooms!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Thanks.

BTW, I signed up on LH's website just to see if I could even view my itinerary, and I cant. I went to My Booking, and then entered my confirmation # from United where it says "View Another Booking" and it couldn't be found. Am I in the wrong spot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.