Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2004, 03:17 PM   #1
kaiserwilhelm
macrumors newbie

Drive Icons keep moving

OK, this is probably pretty darn easy. I have a desktop background by peterjsucy.com.
In it it has places for docks and also for my drives to be located along a semi-circle.
Everytime I place my drives in these positions it works fine until I restart.
Why do my drives go back to straight up and down everytime I restart?
(Panther 10.3.2)
kaiserwilhelm is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:16 PM   #2
learthur
macrumors newbie

Icons

Don't know. I have the same experience. Would love to know how to SAVE the positions of my icons.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Macco
macrumors regular

I assume that you have it set in Finder preferences to show hard disks on the desktop, which will automatically reset their positions on startup. The easiest way around this is to create an alias on your desktop for each drive, which should allow the positions to remain the same after startup. If you're feeling adventurous / bored and you don't want that little arrow thingy in the bottom left corner, you could create an applescript instead for each drive and copy the icons from the drive... but you'll probably just want to create an alias instead.
"Whereas Apple is indeed planning to continue its 'controlled, methodical expansion' through the end of next year, the first half of 2005 will see a switch to a 'haphazard, higgledy-piggledy expansion,' followed by two weeks of a 'mellow, nougat-filled expansion,' then three to five minutes of a 'frenzied, cactus-colored contraction,' and finally a thousand-year era of 'perfect Zen retail balance' and 'free Enlightenment to the first billion customers.' "
- As the Apple Turns, regarding Apple Store expansion (8/7/03)
Macco is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:40 PM   #4
kaiserwilhelm
macrumors newbie

DUH!!! I never thought of alias's! I made the alias's and then told my preferences NOT to show my Hard drives and connected server - voila!
Thanks a million
kaiserwilhelm is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion