Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:17 AM   #1
ukdmbfan
macrumors newbie

Compiling Universal Binary library on Leopard, make/cc problems

I'm trying to compile the freetype library on Leopard for use as a Universal Binary library, however I'm having some make trouble.

I'm trying to pass options to the CC environment variable, but that always seems to result in a "libtool: link: `/Users/matt/Workspace/freetype/freetype-2.3.7/objs/ftsystem.lo' is not a valid libtool object" error, after which make fails.

This is the result of doing a simple:

./configure
make "CC=cc"

OR

./configure
make "CC=cc -arch i386"

Just doing a configure and make works ok (without CC) but I can only ever compile an i386 library this way. Configuring the the ppc build/host system options, and then doing make "CC=cc -arch ppc" results in the exact same error. Why doesn't it like cc?
ukdmbfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Have you looked at this?
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

Some projects don't even compile for PPC on an Intel Mac, for whatever reasons. I've had to just build them on a PPC machine and manually create the universal binary using lipo.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:20 AM   #3
ukdmbfan
macrumors newbie

I was starting to get that feeling considering other things were compiling fine with the exact same process. I had a feeling that I'd cross-compiled freetype before, but I might not have done. Might have to dig up a G4 Mini from eBay then, as I don't have a (working) PPC machine

Thanks for your help.
ukdmbfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming