Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider details some of the upcoming changes in Adobe Creative Suite 4 which is said to be shipping next month. According to individuals who have seen private demos of the new applications, the updates are said to be "minor":
People privy to private demonstrations of Creative Suite 4 say the update will generally be minor, with only a few new features tacked on to each application. "The lack of compelling new features has been the discussion among many employees and customers that are testing the software," one of those people said, "with many relating CS4 to a maintenance release rather than a complete new version."
Photoshop CS4 will see interface updates that we have previously detailed and also gain a new 3D feature which allows 3D objects to be imported as wireframes. Additional features include a Flash services panel, natural canvas rotation, content aware image resizing and 64-bit support for Windows users.

Other features for CS4 listed include:

- InDesign CS4 will get a new Flash export option
- Flash CS4: new timeline called Motion Editor, object-based motion tween model
- Screen-sharing collaboration
- Kuler (color creation and sharing) and Adobe Drive (filesharing) support

Adobe is expected to officially announce CS4 on September 23rd.

Article Link

jb3designs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Dallas, TX
I knew it was bad when Adobe bought Macromedia. There's not much innovation left. Adobe is coasting just like Microsoft. I don't even have much hope for CS5 much less CS4. We need a real competitor.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I hope the new interface in PS is good enough for an update...
I'm anxious to see flash CS4 :)

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I have to disagree.

From what I've seen, this update going to be huge......particularly After Effects and Flash.

And hopefully they've converted Dreamweaver's awful Macromedia interface to Adobe's.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
The lack of 64-bit support on the Mac platform has me worried, since Photoshop was always the product to have for Mac OS.

Looks like Mac OS is starting to come second to windows now in the Adobe world.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The lack of 64-bit support on the Mac platform has me worried, since Photoshop was always the product to have for Mac OS.

Looks like Mac OS is starting to come second to windows now in the Adobe world.

Not necessarily.

Apple is making Adobe rewrite Photoshop's code in Cocoa, and rightly so.

I'm bummed it won't be 64 bit, too, but I'd rather wait for them to get it right.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
I hope upgrade cost isn't as much as normal if this is only a minor release. If so I will definitely be skipping this version.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Minor versus Major debate. We'll just have to wait until it's released.

Why doesn't Apple just buy Adobe and integrate the Apps into Mac OS X?

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Cut the bloat

I certainly hope it'll be like Snow Leopard is to Leopard. Make it faster and stop bloating it.

I agree. Considering some of the discussions at DearAdobe.com and John Nack's blog, there are some people who want some of the fat cut off to make the Adobe products slimmer and quicker.

It seemed to take forever for CS3 to come out, but now with the announcement for CS4 just around the corner, it barely seems any time has passed since CS3 was released last year. It just seems far too soon, and I'm not overly optimistic that they have really added much value to all of the products. I imagine they have spent the past 18 months cleaning things up and putting out what they wish CS3 could have been (but no one would have wanted to wait another 18 months for Intel-native Adobe products). However, with their decision to bundle so many applications, this is forcing them to "update" each of their applications, even if the update really isn't that significant, sort of how Apple keeps updating their iLife products with minor improvements.

TheCrudMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Any news on After Effects? That's the only one I really really care about. I really wish they'd make things in it a little easier (free transforms, aspect preserving scaling like in photoshop) etc. I personally think its probably the most powerful tool in the whole set when it comes to content creation. (well obviously comparing apples and oranges but still,) its a great tool.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
It seemed to take forever for CS3 to come out, but now with the announcement for CS4 just around the corner, it barely seems any time has passed since CS3 was released last year. It just seems far too soon...

The sooner the better. Bring on 64-bit CS5! :D

Mac 13

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Los Angeles,Ca
Scott Kelby N CS4

I'm wondering since CS4 is just for windozzzze users first, what is scott kelby going to use? A Macbook running windozzzze or a PC with vista 64 bit?:eek:

orbital

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Having worked with Flash CS4 I have to say that the updates coming down are nothing short of UI mind blowing. First they totally revamped their time line control as mentioned, the fact that all objects move on a visible bezier path, similar to AE and the whole bone parenting system that they have implemented is nothing short of ground breaking for animation. I also used it on a MAC so the windows only CS4 is total BS.

stephenstudios

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Flash CS4 MANY updates

Ok, being an actual Flash CS4 BETA tester, I can rule out all this bull about a "minor" update. Flash CS4's motion editor is a great tool but it's NOT the only update and isn't what I would consider the best upgrade although its great. There are great motion path features similar to AE where you can see the line of motion as well as dragging and dropping into other motions, preset animation features, 3D transform, IK, a kick ass new text editor with a ton of features, new types of tweens, overall new UI which feels great! Drawing in the program has additionally been improved and moving objects around the screen feels much smoother and natural.

So...there are a few MINOR updates for you MacRumors.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Having worked with Flash CS4 I have to say that the updates coming down are nothing short of UI mind blowing. First they totally revamped their time line control as mentioned, the fact that all objects move on a visible bezier path, similar to AE and the whole bone parenting system that they have implemented is nothing short of ground breaking for animation. I also used it on a MAC so the windows only CS4 is total BS.
Yeah, that's what I thought when I spotted this headline... the Flash demo I saw was certainly no "minor update", I mean they've changed the way the timeline works and everything... no more keyframes etc.

Of course, if you're only interested in Photoshop and Illustrator, I can see how those may not be all that mindblowing, those apps are up to version numbers XX.X...

MacTravelerBoi

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Brussels, Belgium
Having used a wide variety of Adobe products for many years now, I've never found it necessary to purchase every new upgrade once I've signed on to one of their product lines.

Unless it's something truly new or major I usually skip every other upgrade. (There have been a few rare times when I've even skipped 2 successive upgrades). I've never had any problems with that strategy and it's saved me and my clients a little $.

TBDNET

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
WV
For Mac and PC

I'm wondering since CS4 is just for windozzzze users, what is scott kelby going to use? A Macbook running windozzzze or a PC with vista 64 bit?:eek:

Photoshop CS4 is going to be on Mac OS and Windows. Most current Mac CS3 users will have some adjusting to do with the new interface. For instance the change in the Keyboard shortcuts especially in the channels threw me for about a week. and if you are a used to having multiple images in multiple windows it will definitely take some getting used to having to "float all windows" But the biggest the boost in speed will far out weigh the learning curve. It will be well worth the cost to upgrade too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.