Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
demonicgman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Upgrade Macbook video/graphics card?

So when COD4 comes out for Mac, i wanted to get it but noticed my 13inch white 2.4gz Macbook has the worst video/graphics card i have ever seen. Is it possible for me to put a new one in or not? Cause i am going to upgrade my ram from 2gb to 4gb in the hope that will help somewhat...

Last edited by demonicgman; Sep 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: swear word....my bad
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:40 PM   #2
ayeying
macrumors 601
 
ayeying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to ayeying
No. You can't upgrade the video card. Upgrading the ram will help somewhat, but probably not to the result you're expecting.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3L, 1TB SSD, Iris Pro + GT 750M 2GB, Retina, 10.9.2, 8.1 Pro Update 1
iPhone 5 | White, 64GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
iPad Mini | White, 32GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
scienide09
macrumors 65816
 
scienide09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
The MacBook has an integrated graphics chip. It's part of the logicboard. It can't be replaced.

Even the GPUs in the MBPs are not upgradeable, as they are soldered to the logicboard.
__________________
I'm a librarian.
iMac 27" i7 2.8 | mid-2011 MBA | iPhone 8GB (original) | iPhone 5 (black) | Backup: RAID-1 640GB NAS.
scienide09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
demonicgman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
and now i am questioning why i got a mac...
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
you really expected to play COD4 on a macbook?

im wondering why you got a mac too lol

research my friend, is a good thing
DeusInvictus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
ayeying
macrumors 601
 
ayeying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
and now i am questioning why i got a mac...
Only some PC laptops have upgradable video cards. Mostly Dell that provide upgradable cards. But even then, you're restricted to how far you can upgrade. Plus and upgrade would cost an excess of 400 bucks just for the card alone.

Not to mention, if this situation was on a PC, you still can't upgrade because you got an integrated chip. Even on models that have upgradable cards, your integrated model won't work since there is no connectors for the dedicated cards.

And no, you can't go out to Best Buy and buy a card because those are for desktops, not laptops.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3L, 1TB SSD, Iris Pro + GT 750M 2GB, Retina, 10.9.2, 8.1 Pro Update 1
iPhone 5 | White, 64GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
iPad Mini | White, 32GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
and now i am questioning why i got a mac...
You should be questioning why you got a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:13 PM   #8
thomahawk
macrumors 6502a
 
thomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Osaka, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
You should be questioning why you got a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro.
true dat. macbooks are for casual stuff like photoshop, internet, music, movie editing, whereas macbook pros you can actually game on it. and do everything macbooks can
__________________
flickr
thomahawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:01 PM   #9
demonicgman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
woah woah...get off my nuts. maybe i didn't have enough graduation money.
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
glide
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
woah woah...get off my nuts. maybe i didn't have enough graduation money.
Then it sounds like you got what you paid for...
glide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:21 PM   #11
kkat69
macrumors 68020
 
kkat69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
woah woah...get off my nuts. maybe i didn't have enough graduation money.
Well let me ask you this then, how many common laptops have video cards you can upgrade? AND if they can how many OF those laptops which can be upgraded can be upgraded inexpensively, meaning cheaper than buying the better one to start with.

I bet the first question will pretty much prove the unspoken point here.

Laptop and upgrade really don't go together, at the very least the most common of parts are hard drive and memory.

VERY few laptops allow for video card upgrading. (ok let's start the "your wrong, XXX can be upgraded, XXX can be upgraded) BAH! which is why I said very few meaning "there are some that can be"

But it's a pretty good rule of thumb that when you shop for a laptop, you'll get what you get in the specs.

If you wanted true upgradability, you need a desktop.
__________________
iMac 27",MB (White),80g iPod Classic,2g iPod Nano,8g iPhone3G,16g iPhone3G,16g iPhone4(x2),1.83ghz Mac Mini(x4),32g iPad White,16g Nexus 7(x2),8g iPod 4th Gen(x2),16g Nexus 4 White (x2)
kkat69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
and now i am questioning why i got a mac...
There are four laptops whose graphics cards you can upgrade. They're stupidly expensive to do so. You should have researched both the system requirements for your game and the hardware for the MacBook.

You have no one to blame but yourself.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
COD4 plays great on my MacBook Pro.

You should have got a refurb MacBook Pro.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:17 PM   #14
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
woah woah...get off my nuts. maybe i didn't have enough graduation money.
You didn't bargain for more? I would have offered a guaranteed good grades in exchange for enough to get a refurbished MBP. The last gen 2.2 is great.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:19 PM   #15
ayeying
macrumors 601
 
ayeying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
You didn't bargain for more? I would have offered a guaranteed good grades in exchange for enough to get a refurbished MBP. The last gen 2.2 is great.
Agreed. Refurbished systems are great. My dad's iMac is a refurbished and it came with no scraches, dents, dings, whatnot. It still works great too. Furthermore, you could've used your education discount (if you're going to college) and save 200 bucks off the MBP.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3L, 1TB SSD, Iris Pro + GT 750M 2GB, Retina, 10.9.2, 8.1 Pro Update 1
iPhone 5 | White, 64GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
iPad Mini | White, 32GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:18 AM   #16
demonicgman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't know about the graphics card before hand. And the Mbp, quite expensive, parents not willing to spend their own money..those cheap...you know whats.
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:38 AM   #17
Mpulsive81
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Send a message via AIM to Mpulsive81 Send a message via Yahoo to Mpulsive81
Don't let the rest of the responses here get you down. You got a pretty great machine, Macbooks just aren't widely known for their gaming abilities. When it comes to gaming I'm not one to really look at production computers. If you want to game, slowly piece together a respectable PC. You don't have to be a baller to get your game on. Unless you're trying to play Crysis, a dedicated gaming machine shouldn't cost more than $300-400 to build, sometimes even less if you look hard enough and be patient. Granted, that's not retail prices, that's straight used eBay & craigslist stuff but if it works, who cares where ya got it. I'd say get a year or two old components for cheap and get yourself a bad lil setup. Here's a quick off the top of my head idea:

256Mb vid card (this is where the bulk of your money is gonna go)
2 gigs of pc2-5300 or pc2-6400 ram (4 would be ideal, especially since it's so CHEAP these days)
Intel Core Duo or Dual Core processor (ain't always cheap either. again, used used used used is the way to go!)
abit or asus motherboard

Run XP pro on it and you're ready bro. You'll have the best of both worlds, a gaming PC for the house and a Macbook for portability and everything else you could need
__________________
Macbook 2.2 C2D | 4GB | 500GB
FLICKr
Mpulsive81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:59 AM   #18
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaldana817 View Post
Don't let the rest of the responses here get you down. You got a pretty great machine, Macbooks just aren't widely known for their gaming abilities. When it comes to gaming I'm not one to really look at production computers. If you want to game, slowly piece together a respectable PC. You don't have to be a baller to get your game on. Unless you're trying to play Crysis, a dedicated gaming machine shouldn't cost more than $300-400 to build, sometimes even less if you look hard enough and be patient. Granted, that's not retail prices, that's straight used eBay & craigslist stuff but if it works, who cares where ya got it. I'd say get a year or two old components for cheap and get yourself a bad lil setup. Here's a quick off the top of my head idea:

256Mb vid card (this is where the bulk of your money is gonna go)
2 gigs of pc2-5300 or pc2-6400 ram (4 would be ideal, especially since it's so CHEAP these days)
Intel Core Duo or Dual Core processor (ain't always cheap either. again, used used used used is the way to go!)
abit or asus motherboard

Run XP pro on it and you're ready bro. You'll have the best of both worlds, a gaming PC for the house and a Macbook for portability and everything else you could need
I second that idea. You can use your new PC as a processing powerhouse, and use the Macbook for general use. Good luck trying to find XP though. I think Vista isn't that bad, but it is bloated. Definitely go for 4 GB, IF you get a 64bit OS, because if not, your OS will not recognize much more than 3GB. If you are going to get XP, go for an OEM XP Pro or OEM XP Media Center (Home is NOT 64bit). You can also build it exactly how you want it, from the ground up, which seems to be what you wanted with a Macbook. If you wanted games, you have to get at least an iMac.
txhockey9404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:06 AM   #19
polar-blair
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Games+Macs dont really go together very well everyone knows this, the MBP is good but generally the two dont go together as the PC market for games is so much bigger. Personally I dont get the whole PC gaming thing, Ok some PC games a great like Spore, but I rather playing games on a console, but thats my opinion.

I say get an xbox if you want to play COD4, cheaper than getting a new PC or a MBP.
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac 2.0GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD; iPhone (EDGE); iPod Classic 160GB
Watch My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/polarblair2000
polar-blair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:05 PM   #20
demonicgman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
already have a 360 brah', but parents didn't let me take it up to school, but i am going to go home and just take it. I have another question!!! If i download a graphic drive or w/e does that increase my graphics? Or do i have to have that drive already and it is just an upgrade? Thanks!
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:40 PM   #21
ayeying
macrumors 601
 
ayeying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Yay Area, CA
Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't know about the graphics card before hand. And the Mbp, quite expensive, parents not willing to spend their own money..those cheap...you know whats.
You get a job and buy stuff yourself. I was in your position too, parents won't get anything above 1000 for a laptop. Got myself a job, bought the Air, sold it for MBP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
already have a 360 brah', but parents didn't let me take it up to school, but i am going to go home and just take it. I have another question!!! If i download a graphic drive or w/e does that increase my graphics? Or do i have to have that drive already and it is just an upgrade? Thanks!
Driver upgrade won't do much at all. Its not worth the effort. You'll get maybe +/- 1FPS.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" | 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3L, 1TB SSD, Iris Pro + GT 750M 2GB, Retina, 10.9.2, 8.1 Pro Update 1
iPhone 5 | White, 64GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
iPad Mini | White, 32GB, AT&T, iOS 7.1
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:16 AM   #22
demonicgman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
yeah i had a job and it paid really badly lol, saved up some money but i think my parents want me to just keep it in the bank, ugh! Thanks for your help though guys.
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:27 PM   #23
motresmagoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhockey9404 View Post
I second that idea. You can use your new PC as a processing powerhouse, and use the Macbook for general use. Good luck trying to find XP though. I think Vista isn't that bad, but it is bloated. Definitely go for 4 GB, IF you get a 64bit OS, because if not, your OS will not recognize much more than 3GB. If you are going to get XP, go for an OEM XP Pro or OEM XP Media Center (Home is NOT 64bit). You can also build it exactly how you want it, from the ground up, which seems to be what you wanted with a Macbook. If you wanted games, you have to get at least an iMac.
Windows are NOT true 64 bit operating systems. They never have been and never will be. Only Mac has a true 64 bit operating system. Windows is just a 32 bit OS running on top of a 16 bit shell, besides, Mac's download things faster and better no matter what.
motresmagoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #24
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by motresmagoo View Post
Windows are NOT true 64 bit operating systems. They never have been and never will be. Only Mac has a true 64 bit operating system. Windows is just a 32 bit OS running on top of a 16 bit shell, besides, Mac's download things faster and better no matter what.
And that is the reason you registered here, to post in a five year old thread and probably never return?
__________________
living on the moderately profane edge
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Upgrade MacBook Pro graphics card OS X Dude Mac and PC Games 24 Jan 26, 2013 03:35 AM
Graphics Card for Mac Pro, first generation... mattso Mac Pro 15 Jul 8, 2012 10:16 PM
13'' mbp graphics card upgrades??? adventhp1 MacBook Pro 11 Oct 21, 2011 05:47 PM
Most Powerful Mac Pro Graphics Card -BigMac- Mac Pro 5 May 4, 2011 05:55 AM
What will I need the 2.2GHz MBP graphics card for? iMasterWeb MacBook Pro 6 Mar 12, 2011 04:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC