Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

Upgrade Macbook video/graphics card?

So when COD4 comes out for Mac, i wanted to get it but noticed my 13inch white 2.4gz Macbook has the worst video/graphics card i have ever seen. Is it possible for me to put a new one in or not? Cause i am going to upgrade my ram from 2gb to 4gb in the hope that will help somewhat...

Last edited by demonicgman; Sep 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: swear word....my bad
demonicgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:40 PM   #2
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
No. You can't upgrade the video card. Upgrading the ram will help somewhat, but probably not to the result you're expecting.
ayeying is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
scienide09
macrumors 65816

The MacBook has an integrated graphics chip. It's part of the logicboard. It can't be replaced.

Even the GPUs in the MBPs are not upgradeable, as they are soldered to the logicboard.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

and now i am questioning why i got a mac...
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:07 PM   #5
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

you really expected to play COD4 on a macbook?

im wondering why you got a mac too lol

research my friend, is a good thing
DeusInvictus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
ayeying
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicgman View Post
Only some PC laptops have upgradable video cards. Mostly Dell that provide upgradable cards. But even then, you're restricted to how far you can upgrade. Plus and upgrade would cost an excess of 400 bucks just for the card alone.

Not to mention, if this situation was on a PC, you still can't upgrade because you got an integrated chip. Even on models that have upgradable cards, your integrated model won't work since there is no connectors for the dedicated cards.

And no, you can't go out to Best Buy and buy a card because those are for desktops, not laptops.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
You should be questioning why you got a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:13 PM   #8
thomahawk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
You should be questioning why you got a MacBook instead of a MacBook Pro.
true dat. macbooks are for casual stuff like photoshop, internet, music, movie editing, whereas macbook pros you can actually game on it. and do everything macbooks can
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:01 PM   #9
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

woah woah...get off my nuts. maybe i didn't have enough graduation money.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
glide
macrumors regular

Quote:
Then it sounds like you got what you paid for...
glide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:21 PM   #11
kkat69
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well let me ask you this then, how many common laptops have video cards you can upgrade? AND if they can how many OF those laptops which can be upgraded can be upgraded inexpensively, meaning cheaper than buying the better one to start with.

I bet the first question will pretty much prove the unspoken point here.

Laptop and upgrade really don't go together, at the very least the most common of parts are hard drive and memory.

VERY few laptops allow for video card upgrading. (ok let's start the "your wrong, XXX can be upgraded, XXX can be upgraded) BAH! which is why I said very few meaning "there are some that can be"

But it's a pretty good rule of thumb that when you shop for a laptop, you'll get what you get in the specs.

If you wanted true upgradability, you need a desktop.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
There are four laptops whose graphics cards you can upgrade. They're stupidly expensive to do so. You should have researched both the system requirements for your game and the hardware for the MacBook.

You have no one to blame but yourself.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Consultant
macrumors G5

COD4 plays great on my MacBook Pro.

You should have got a refurb MacBook Pro.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:17 PM   #14
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
You didn't bargain for more? I would have offered a guaranteed good grades in exchange for enough to get a refurbished MBP. The last gen 2.2 is great.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:19 PM   #15
ayeying
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
You didn't bargain for more? I would have offered a guaranteed good grades in exchange for enough to get a refurbished MBP. The last gen 2.2 is great.
Agreed. Refurbished systems are great. My dad's iMac is a refurbished and it came with no scraches, dents, dings, whatnot. It still works great too. Furthermore, you could've used your education discount (if you're going to college) and save 200 bucks off the MBP.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:18 AM   #16
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't know about the graphics card before hand. And the Mbp, quite expensive, parents not willing to spend their own money..those cheap...you know whats.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:38 AM   #17
Mpulsive81
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Mpulsive81 Send a message via Yahoo to Mpulsive81
Don't let the rest of the responses here get you down. You got a pretty great machine, Macbooks just aren't widely known for their gaming abilities. When it comes to gaming I'm not one to really look at production computers. If you want to game, slowly piece together a respectable PC. You don't have to be a baller to get your game on. Unless you're trying to play Crysis, a dedicated gaming machine shouldn't cost more than $300-400 to build, sometimes even less if you look hard enough and be patient. Granted, that's not retail prices, that's straight used eBay & craigslist stuff but if it works, who cares where ya got it. I'd say get a year or two old components for cheap and get yourself a bad lil setup. Here's a quick off the top of my head idea:

256Mb vid card (this is where the bulk of your money is gonna go)
2 gigs of pc2-5300 or pc2-6400 ram (4 would be ideal, especially since it's so CHEAP these days)
Intel Core Duo or Dual Core processor (ain't always cheap either. again, used used used used is the way to go!)
abit or asus motherboard

Run XP pro on it and you're ready bro. You'll have the best of both worlds, a gaming PC for the house and a Macbook for portability and everything else you could need
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:59 AM   #18
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaldana817 View Post
Don't let the rest of the responses here get you down. You got a pretty great machine, Macbooks just aren't widely known for their gaming abilities. When it comes to gaming I'm not one to really look at production computers. If you want to game, slowly piece together a respectable PC. You don't have to be a baller to get your game on. Unless you're trying to play Crysis, a dedicated gaming machine shouldn't cost more than $300-400 to build, sometimes even less if you look hard enough and be patient. Granted, that's not retail prices, that's straight used eBay & craigslist stuff but if it works, who cares where ya got it. I'd say get a year or two old components for cheap and get yourself a bad lil setup. Here's a quick off the top of my head idea:

256Mb vid card (this is where the bulk of your money is gonna go)
2 gigs of pc2-5300 or pc2-6400 ram (4 would be ideal, especially since it's so CHEAP these days)
Intel Core Duo or Dual Core processor (ain't always cheap either. again, used used used used is the way to go!)
abit or asus motherboard

Run XP pro on it and you're ready bro. You'll have the best of both worlds, a gaming PC for the house and a Macbook for portability and everything else you could need
I second that idea. You can use your new PC as a processing powerhouse, and use the Macbook for general use. Good luck trying to find XP though. I think Vista isn't that bad, but it is bloated. Definitely go for 4 GB, IF you get a 64bit OS, because if not, your OS will not recognize much more than 3GB. If you are going to get XP, go for an OEM XP Pro or OEM XP Media Center (Home is NOT 64bit). You can also build it exactly how you want it, from the ground up, which seems to be what you wanted with a Macbook. If you wanted games, you have to get at least an iMac.
txhockey9404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 08:06 AM   #19
polar-blair
macrumors regular

Games+Macs dont really go together very well everyone knows this, the MBP is good but generally the two dont go together as the PC market for games is so much bigger. Personally I dont get the whole PC gaming thing, Ok some PC games a great like Spore, but I rather playing games on a console, but thats my opinion.

I say get an xbox if you want to play COD4, cheaper than getting a new PC or a MBP.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:05 PM   #20
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

already have a 360 brah', but parents didn't let me take it up to school, but i am going to go home and just take it. I have another question!!! If i download a graphic drive or w/e does that increase my graphics? Or do i have to have that drive already and it is just an upgrade? Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:40 PM   #21
ayeying
macrumors 601

Quote:
shoulda, coulda, woulda, didn't know about the graphics card before hand. And the Mbp, quite expensive, parents not willing to spend their own money..those cheap...you know whats.
You get a job and buy stuff yourself. I was in your position too, parents won't get anything above 1000 for a laptop. Got myself a job, bought the Air, sold it for MBP.

Quote:
already have a 360 brah', but parents didn't let me take it up to school, but i am going to go home and just take it. I have another question!!! If i download a graphic drive or w/e does that increase my graphics? Or do i have to have that drive already and it is just an upgrade? Thanks!
Driver upgrade won't do much at all. Its not worth the effort. You'll get maybe +/- 1FPS.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:16 AM   #22
demonicgman
macrumors newbie

yeah i had a job and it paid really badly lol, saved up some money but i think my parents want me to just keep it in the bank, ugh! Thanks for your help though guys.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:27 PM   #23
motresmagoo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhockey9404 View Post
I second that idea. You can use your new PC as a processing powerhouse, and use the Macbook for general use. Good luck trying to find XP though. I think Vista isn't that bad, but it is bloated. Definitely go for 4 GB, IF you get a 64bit OS, because if not, your OS will not recognize much more than 3GB. If you are going to get XP, go for an OEM XP Pro or OEM XP Media Center (Home is NOT 64bit). You can also build it exactly how you want it, from the ground up, which seems to be what you wanted with a Macbook. If you wanted games, you have to get at least an iMac.
Windows are NOT true 64 bit operating systems. They never have been and never will be. Only Mac has a true 64 bit operating system. Windows is just a 32 bit OS running on top of a 16 bit shell, besides, Mac's download things faster and better no matter what.
motresmagoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #24
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by motresmagoo View Post
Windows are NOT true 64 bit operating systems. They never have been and never will be. Only Mac has a true 64 bit operating system. Windows is just a 32 bit OS running on top of a 16 bit shell, besides, Mac's download things faster and better no matter what.
And that is the reason you registered here, to post in a five year old thread and probably never return?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help