Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:35 PM   #1
the vj
Banned

Wake up, play full video and sleep.. how?

Ok, this is very silly but I do not know how...

I need my Mac Mini to wake up at 8pm, start up a quicktime video full screen in a loop until 2am, then shut down again. And I need it to do that over and over again for a month.

How can I do that?

I want to tell the computer what video to play back once. Probably I may create a new video later on and I would have to switch videos and play the new one only in a loop as well.

The thing is...

I have this projector that is gonna be playing back a video during nightime. No one is going to controll it. In order to power down the projector I need to put the computer to sleep and not sending any video signal at all. That way the projector will go to sleep and it will wake up again by itself when receiving a video signal.

Thank you very much for your help.
the vj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
lee1210
macrumors 68040

From system preferences, choose energy saver, then "Schedule". You can then set your wake and sleep times. Then you can set up an applescript to launch your video. I would just set an alarm in iCal to run the apple script. It shouldn't be too rough using the quicktime or VLC dictionary.

-Lee
lee1210 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 03:54 PM   #3
the vj
Banned

Duh, if I am placing a question here is to actually have some one figure out the apple script for me.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:03 PM   #4
lee1210
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vj View Post
Duh, if I am placing a question here is to actually have some one figure out the apple script for me.
Good luck, with that attitude! You didn't even mention an intent to use applescript for this task, and you certainly didn't say "I'm trying to start a video in quicktime in full-screen mode in a loop, i'm having trouble doing this with applescript, here's what i've tried, any tips?". Open Script Editor, under file choose Open Dictionary, and choose the program you want to play the movie with. All of the available actions will be listed. Chances are it will be something like:
Code:
tell application "x"
  play "Macintosh HD::Movies::My Movie.mpg"
  fullscreen
  repeat on
end tell
-Lee
lee1210 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
the vj
Banned

Mmmm....! thank you. Ages without using it since OS9.

Dude, I am doing 387581273487623498726 a minute, I wish I could be a programmer, 3D animator and a bunch stuff, no time. I even wish i had a boyfriend for my girlfriend, no time.

Thanx.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Hawkeye411
macrumors 68000

lol ... I wish I had a girlfriend for my wife
Hawkeye411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
lee1210
macrumors 68040

Code:
tell application "QuickTime Player"