Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjamesnelson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
Jacob's house
Hey, I'm currently looking for Freelance web design work...

I'm wonder if anyone uses Freelance design bids sites to gain contracts?

If you do what your experience with them?

Also could you suggest any good ones to me please.

What other ways do people use in order to find freelance work?

Thanks, Andy

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
they are a great idea, but generally it is impossible to get work from them.

The majority of people working on their are form India, Pakistan, Asia etc and do crazy projects super quick and crazy cheap! I only use those sites for actually sub-contracting i i need somethign done quickly and cheaply and don't have time my self

unless you want to do full sites for less than $100 don't bother

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Create a portfolio site of your design work, get it listed on Google, hawk it around via email to the kind of places you think would want your services. Post a link to your work here. Print postcards, flyers. Get marketing yourself.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Word of mouth from existing happy clients is also a big factor in my experience. And don't be afraid to approach clients if you think their current site is rubbish or needs updating or bringing in line with accessibility guidelines. Just do it tactfully :)

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Word of mouth from existing happy clients is also a big factor in my experience. And don't be afraid to approach clients if you think their current site is rubbish or needs updating or bringing in line with accessibility guidelines. Just do it tactfully :)

Exactly, and once a place is happy with your work, they won't bother looking elsewhere because the relationship will already be in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.