Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mushir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Ok so me and a couple of friends have a presentation we need to show to the class next week. Since no one in my group has a presentation program I said Ill make it. But Im using Keynote. And every computer on the school has uses Windows. So I was wondering how I could run it on a Windows computer?

I have tried Quicktime and it work great on my mac. Although my school computer has a old version of QT. I downloaded the new version and kept getting a stupid error, so I don't think Im gonna use that.

Im also not gonna export it to a Powerpoint Presentation. The transitions donzt stay and it ends up looking just plain ugly.

So any advice? I was thinking of burning it onto a DVD but Im not entirely sure how that will work.

Mirrorball

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
The best option IMO is to export the presentation as a PDF document, then use Adobe Acrobat to present it. It's guaranteed to work if you don't have animated slides or othr effects.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The best option IMO is to export the presentation as a PDF document, then use Adobe Acrobat to present it. It's guaranteed to work if you don't have animated slides or othr effects.

This is exactly what I did when I'm giving presentation for a class. I import it as PDF, and put it on my web server, and in class, I just fire up IE, and point it to the PDF, then set the view to fullscreen.

So much easier and more elegant than PowerPoint. No fiddling and missing images and freezes and "loading of user settings" or "incompatible file" or all the other stuff the other classmates run into.

Of course, this is not a great option if you really want the transitions and animations. I saw it can be imported to a QuickTime file, but never tried it. Worth a try though.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Presentation transitions are a distraction. Unless they are used to emphasize a vitally important point, they're just eye-candy.

In a recent class my professor exported his Keynote presentations as PDFs, and they looked great. Plus, they're easy to download and share, so you can pass them along to others in your class.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
You can export them as a movie. I had this problem when my parents wouldn't allow me to bring my MacBook to school. All I had access to was my Dad's old ThinkPad (he's waiting for October). So I exported the Keynote as a movie and I can play it. Not HD quality but better than a PowerPoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.