Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Sep 20, 2008, 03:27 AM   #1
holysmoke
macrumors newbie

2 button trackpad?

Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad? I've noticed that the new mighty mouse does have a right click, even when you use it with a mac. Why doesnt apple integrate that feature into their laptops? I'm really looking to convert, I'm practically sure that I'm gonna buy the macbooks the day they are launched, but this is a minor irritant..
holysmoke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 03:29 AM   #2
bartelby
macrumors Core

It is. put a second finger on the trackpad, click and you get right click.
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:00 AM   #3
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
the Mighty Mouse and trackpad both have right clicking but its disabled by default (WHY? ). enable it Keyboard & Mouse preferences.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:22 AM   #4
nick9191
macrumors 68040

System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - Trackpad - Tap trackpad with 2 fingers for secondary click
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 06:28 AM   #5
withoutaface
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
the Mighty Mouse and trackpad both have right clicking but its disabled by default (WHY? ). enable it Keyboard & Mouse preferences.
It's been a deliberate design decision on Apple's part, because:
1. Having two buttons on a mouse confuses people who are new to computers. Tech support becomes tedious when you have to tell people which mouse button to click all the time.
2. It makes sure that any application programmers make all functionality accessible from the dropdown menus, rather than cheating with secondary click functionality.
withoutaface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:21 AM   #6
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad?
Because that would be worse than their current trackpad's option to perform the equivalent of a "right-click".
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:58 AM   #7
gusious
macrumors 65816

I really love that it hasn't two separate buttons like all the other laptops!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 08:28 AM   #8
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Why doesnt apple use a 2-button trackpad? I've noticed that the new mighty mouse does have a right click, even when you use it with a mac. Why doesnt apple integrate that feature into their laptops? I'm really looking to convert, I'm practically sure that I'm gonna buy the macbooks the day they are launched, but this is a minor irritant..
Thank God they don't use 2 physical buttons on the trackpad - the current solution is awesome!

If you want to right click just either tap with two fingers instead of one or put a second finger on the trackpad and press the trackpad button. Scrolling works the same way - move two fingers on the trackpad in any direction you want and it will scroll in that direction.

Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:06 AM   #9
*Sandy*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXan View Post
Thank God they don't use 2 physical buttons on the trackpad - the current solution is awesome!

If you want to right click just either tap with two fingers instead of one or put a second finger on the trackpad and press the trackpad button. Scrolling works the same way - move two fingers on the trackpad in any direction you want and it will scroll in that direction.

I agree, I love it this way, I would never want 2 buttons!
*Sandy* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:39 AM   #10
KompleX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sandy* View Post
I agree, I love it this way, I would never want 2 buttons!
same here! resting two fingers on the trackpad in order to right click or scroll is heaven!
Power Macintosh Beige G3 1GHz, 768MB RAM, 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
KompleX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook