Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Following the process on this page, I have converted my library of HD-DVD movies into two formats:

1. 720p H.264 video + Stereo downmix, converted using x264.
These files all play perfectly smooth on my MacBook Pro, but I am not entirely pleased with the upscaled resolution on a 1080p HDTV connected to my MacBook Pro via DVI.

2. 1080p VC-1 video + AC3 surround, muxed from original HD-DVD source.
I have done this format to not only preserve the original video quality (which is BEAUtiful!), but also to allow for surround sound. These files play perfectly in Plex, but don't work at all in VLC or Mplayer, and work only marginally via the WMV components for QuickTime (part of Flip4Mac).

My question is: Is there any way to have QuickTime play VC-1 files smoothly? I open up the video, and it takes a while to load it all in the buffer, but it only plays back at about 14 fps (source is 24 fps). If I play the files using Plex, everything is smooth as butter—AND AC3 digital pass-through to my surround system works great. Is there anything I can do to QuickTime to make the playback smoother? My end goal is to have these movies accessible through Front Row/iTunes library. They're all in the .mkv wrapper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.