Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
I was just thinking today and wondering this question... and I couldn't find the answer to my question in the Search.

Anyways, is it possible to run Windows only on a Mac?

(you are probably wondering why that I should even bother to run windows... but I was just curious).

Thanks! :eek:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I was just thinking today and wondering this question... and I couldn't find the answer to my question in the Search.

Anyways, is it possible to run Windows only on a Mac?

(you are probably wondering why that I should even bother to run windows... but I was just curious).

Thanks! :eek:

No problem at all. Read the documentation how to use Bootcamp. Follow the documentation, except that you create only _one_ partition on your hard drive (for Windows only) instead of two (one for MacOS X, one for Windows).

After doing that, you can still install MacOS X on an external hard drive and use it without any problems. (As far as I know, nobody has yet managed the opposite: Install Windows on an external drive only and make it work on a Macintosh with MacOS X on the internal drive).

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
No problem at all. Read the documentation how to use Bootcamp. Follow the documentation, except that you create only _one_ partition on your hard drive (for Windows only) instead of two (one for MacOS X, one for Windows).

After doing that, you can still install MacOS X on an external hard drive and use it without any problems. (As far as I know, nobody has yet managed the opposite: Install Windows on an external drive only and make it work on a Macintosh with MacOS X on the internal drive).

Thank you for kindly answering my question! I really appreciate it! :)

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I'm surprised it was answered without anyone saying "Why would you want to do that?" or "Just buy a cheap Windows box."

As stated above it is possible to do, and it is fairly easy too. Just follow the instructions in the Boot Camp Assistant.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Why would you wanna do that!?

:p

okay, seriously though, why? I'm not bashing or whatnot, I just want to know the theory behind it.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

LOL... I knew someone would say that.
I like Apple laptop styling and hardware.
I mean, I don't think I'd ever do such a thing... but I was just curious. :eek:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

LOL... I knew someone would say that.
I like Apple laptop styling and hardware.
I mean, I don't think I'd ever do such a thing... but I was just curious. :eek:

Honestly, I would since Windows is slightly more productive for my day-to-day use. But its not stable for me :(

howie1108

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Don't know why you would want to but it can be easily done. Just follow the Boot Camp Assistant installing Windows, boot up Windows, format and delete the Mac OS X partition and extend the Windows partition out. I even think a while ago PC Magazine benchmarked a MacBook Pro running just Windows Vista and I think it beat the rest of the Windows laptops by a fair bit :cool:

Good Luck!
- CaptHowie.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
A Mac running Windows does not seem so weird to me.

Apple makes nice hardware -- especially their laptops.

Why not get a MB or MBP and put Windows XP or Vista on it? :)

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
It doesn't seem odd to me either, really. I love OS X so much though, I'd have a hard time deleting it even if I did usually use Windows for whatever reason.

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
I cant hate on that either but if you give OSX a try especially leopard you will begin to use it i assure you :)

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
it can be done

i had a hard drive failure on my mb and i have a spare 40 gig for some reason it would not let me install osx on it but i was able to install windows. This was just a work around until i could go do a apple store and get them to replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.