Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several sites have noted that Apple is running low on inventory of 8 GB iPhone 3Gs. Fortune's Apple 2.0 blog notes that as of last night only 36 of Apple's 197 U.S. retail stores had stock of the 8 GB model remaining.

From this raw data several sites are speculating on possible causes of the shortage. AppleInsider has suggested that the 8 GB model may be discontinued and a 32 GB model be introduced, however there appears to be no evidence to support this claim. Another possibility includes the dedication of such models towards Best Buy outlets.

Of course another possibility remains that Apple is simply temporarily running low on supplies of the model. Without further information we regard all such possibilities as speculation.

Article Link

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
great news! i hope they do add a 32GB model to the lineup soon. i think lots of people are waiting for that before they buy.

...just keep in mind there's a reason we're putting this on page 2. It could very well be that there is a 32gb model on the way, but it appears they're basing these claims purely from the fact that the 8GB model is running low in inventory.

isn't the nature of this site speculation?

Rumors are based off of what appears to be a leak or otherwise inside information.

Speculation is trying to deduce plans from publicly known information.

We try to stick to news and rumors and stay away from speculation at MacRumors. Most of the time we don't even put speculation on page 2, but in this case the root of the story (the low iPhone 3G stock) was worth a mention and since the speculation has been going rampant around the web, we threw it in there.

NotoriousLefty

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
I jus think the plastic backing 3g iphone was low quality high quantity to begin with. I hope apple moves on to a 8 mega pix 32 gb video recording, video chat iphone asap then i will upgrade from my 2g. I think the only reason they didnt make this move is the economy and the need for a 199$ phone to suck in newbies... even if its att plan cost more. att needs to have a make over and have tv channels asap similar to verizons plan. then apple needs to make its so games can play vs. each other no mater where you are like xbox live. then apple and att with have completely taken over the the consumer market! the corporate world is another monster.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I believe the low stock can be attributed to the fact that it is priced quite handsomely. Many new iPhone users will find 8GB is more than enough considering that is more capacity than they'll see on any other phone they would normally use. That and there seems to be more to swallow when you go from $200 to $300. To me it is doubling the capacity for half the price, but people will find value differently.

I would love to see a 32GB model and may hold out on the 3G phone until mid-October. Having now seen the iPhone in person I seem to really want one. Though I so wish they would have kept the previous metal back.

goobimama

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
The upgrade is inevitable. So one day when Apple does introduce the 32GB iPhone, there will be a lot of "I told ya!"

lwmcanada

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
I jus think the plastic backing 3g iphone was low quality high quantity to begin with. I hope apple moves on to a 8 mega pix 32 gb video recording, video chat iphone asap then i will upgrade from my 2g. I think the only reason they didnt make this move is the economy and the need for a 199$ phone to suck in newbies... even if its att plan cost more. att needs to have a make over and have tv channels asap similar to verizons plan. then apple needs to make its so games can play vs. each other no mater where you are like xbox live. then apple and att with have completely taken over the the consumer market! the corporate world is another monster.

Thats a lot of changes you're demanding for when you upgrade from your 2G, i guess you want your next car to fly?

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Who cares? Does anyone actually buy the 8GB?

Corporations do. At $199 it is the same price as a Blackberry on corporate accounts. With Exchange now available and the data prices the same for both devices a lot of corporate buyers can now justify an iPhone over a BB. I did....

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
why would they come out with a 32 so soon? just make good customers upset they got a 16

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
We try to stick to news and rumors and stay away from speculation at MacRumors.

Ok. I heard that Apple was discontinuing the 8GB iPhone and introducing a 32GB version.

why would they come out with a 32 so soon? just make good customers upset they got a 16

Maybe because NAND prices have come down and they can sell a 32GB version and make the same amount of profit?

I jus think the plastic backing 3g iphone was low quality high quantity to begin with. I hope apple moves on to a 8 mega pix 32 gb video recording, video chat iphone asap

Are you high?

I think the only reason they didnt make this move is the economy and the need for a 199$ phone to suck in newbies.

Speaking of newbies...

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i hope they do add a 32 gig... if an ipod touch has it, why not the iphone? :confused: (I wouldn't care if it was a tad thicker for the larger size. )

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
Maybe because NAND prices have come down and they can sell a 32GB version and make the same amount of profit?

if they made the same amount of profit on a 16 as a 32, why would they change? there would be some costs incurred by changing to 32 in production. it would also make a lot of consumers upset that they thought they bought the max memory

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Last time, they introduced the iPhone in June, discontinued the 4GB in September and introduced the 16GB in February.

I wouldn't think there will be a 32GB iPhone until well after Christmas.

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Hard to tell....

The 8Gb is the most attractive to buyers, therefore probably the most sold.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
My guess is is just short supply! The 3G debuted just over 2 months ago and not to mention.... about 50% of the companies saw the debut not even a month ago..... Its mainly due to the shift to bestbuy, international demand increase and of course, the probable release of the 3G in 20 new countries!

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I have an 8 GB iphone 3g and I have never had less than 6.5 GB of free space. I don't store that much stuff on my phone so I could never justify the extra 100 dollars for the 16 GB model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.