Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m18981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hi ,
I purchased a 8GB iPhone in AT&T store
it was 199 $

but the sales tax was calculated for 400 $
so I had to pay more than 30$ as sales tax (8.25% in CA)

has anyone have a similar experience.pls respond.

richg916

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
That is normal, you have to pay sales tax for the full amount, then they deduct $200.00 for the 2 year contract.

yip1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Hi ,
I purchased a 8GB iPhone in AT&T store
it was 199 $

but the sales tax was calculated for 400 $
so I had to pay more than 30$ as sales tax (8.25% in CA)

has anyone have a similar experience.pls respond.

Same here. I bought mine on the launch day of iPhone 3G, and AT&T charged me more than $30 as sales tax. Later I added another iPhone line onto my family plan, I ordered the iPhone through the fulfillment program. The sales tax was around $16. I talked to the manager of the AT&T store, and she credited the extra amount of sales tax back to my AT&T account.

m18981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Same here. I bought mine on the launch day of iPhone 3G, and AT&T charged me more than $30 as sales tax. Later I added another iPhone line onto my family plan, I ordered the iPhone through the fulfillment program. The sales tax was around $16. I talked to the manager of the AT&T store, and she credited the extra amount of sales tax back to my AT&T account.

Thx for the response ,so do you suggest to talk to customer support and get back the remaining ? :confused::confused:

I can get a game for that from the app store !!!

yip1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Thx for the response ,so do you suggest to talk to customer support and get back the remaining ? :confused::confused:

I can get a game for that from the app store !!!
You should! I suggest you to go to AT&T store and talk to the mangaer directly. Just tell them they charge the sales tax based on $200 on the fulfillment program(If possible, get the receipt from your friend who ordered iPhone through the fulfillment program as proof), and want to get the refund of the remaining.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
well if you live in Japan it is 800$ then you get a 10$ a month discount for 26months so that comes out to 540$

I bought my wife and i both one and then shortly afterwards found this out when i received two 230$ charges in a row.

so yeah in Japan 2 iphones per month is 230$=115$ each iphone/plan per month:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.