|Sep 21, 2008, 03:30 PM||#1|
Purchasing a new iMac (help)
I have a Powerbook that was bought in 2003... So its currently going on 5 1/2 years. I'm worried thats its not going to hold out too much longer and even though I'm still in school, I figure an iMac might be a better choice since I no longer bring my laptop to classes like I used to.
Are their any rumors when new iMacs will be coming out?
I can tell that the 24" is more popular because of its screen.
What are some pros and cons of buying a refurbished iMac?
Are their usually holiday deals when buying a new one?
|Sep 21, 2008, 03:54 PM||#2|
There are rumors about a 'potential' update, but only Apple knows.
If you buy a refurbished imac from Apple it is the same as new with a lower cost. I have purchased many desktop and laptop computers that were refurbished and they worked and looked like new.
Usually no deals for the holidays. Since your still in school why not go the education discount route???
|Sep 21, 2008, 03:56 PM||#3|
i plan on using the educational discount if i don't get refurbished.
i also didn't know if their were rumors of new iMacs. I don't even know when the last ones were released to know if they are "old" and due for an update.
|Sep 21, 2008, 04:20 PM||#4|
Check out the buyer's guide here on macrumors for details on releases / expected updates.
I have bought a few refurbished and never had any problems (you can even extend the warranty with AppleCare if you choose to).
No real holiday sales.
11" MBA 2GHz/8GB/256GB :: 16GB iPhone 4
12" PB G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB/100GB
|Sep 21, 2008, 07:24 PM||#5|
I'll add my vote for the refurb:
1. It performs and looks like new
2. You get the same one-year warranty as new
3. The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
4. It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
5. It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
6. It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
7. It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
8. It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
9. It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
10. You get a savings several times that of any coupon or promo code.
I've gotten nothing but refurbs for the last several years - both Macs and iPods - and have been thrilled with the results.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Purchasing new iMac - How much RAM?||Cam.Dutch||Digital Audio||1||May 13, 2011 10:33 AM|
|Finally: New iMac 27" Model Purchased||imacky||iMac||9||Feb 21, 2011 10:10 AM|
|HI i need help about purchasing a new iMac plz||javier36963||Mac Basics and Help||4||Aug 4, 2008 12:33 PM|
|Just purchased my new iMac||Jon.Stewart87||iMac||15||May 22, 2008 01:53 PM|
|Just purchased a new imac||shoppy||iMac||25||Jan 18, 2008 06:36 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.