Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Iglio
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Iglio
.avi files into Itunes

Is there any way that I get .avi to play in itunes, I would like this so I can get my dvd's of prison break, which I used handbrake to get into my computer, which I now want to use to watch on my train rides on my ipod =D. Sorry if this has been posted, or if it worded incorrectley. Thank you Mac Forumee's!! O and sorry to add this but I do not want to have to pay for this.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
kornyboy
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Why not rip them with handbrake to an mpg file? That is the way that I've always done it.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
soberbrain
macrumors 65816

Handbrake for DVD to iTunes/iPod

iSquint for .avi to iTunes/iPod
soberbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

If you just want to build your library in iTunes to watch on your computer you can create either a QuickTime Media Link file (this creates a small KB MOV file which links to the AVI file) or you can create a QuickTime reference file (this creates a small MB MOV file which links to the AVI file). The difference between them being meta data cannot be added to the QT Link file, whereas you can with the QT Ref file.

To play on your iPod you must convert the AVI to an iPod compatible MP4/MPEG file.

Apparently VisualHub is great for this. You can also use QuickTime Pro. There's also VideoDrive. I'm sure there are others.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5
i.maverick
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher15 View Post
If you just want to build your library in iTunes to watch on your computer you can create either a QuickTime Media Link file (this creates a small KB MOV file which links to the AVI file) or you can create a QuickTime reference file (this creates a small MB MOV file which links to the AVI file). The difference between them being meta data cannot be added to the QT Link file, whereas you can with the QT Ref file.

To play on your iPod you must convert the AVI to an iPod compatible MP4/MPEG file.

Apparently VisualHub is great for this. You can also use QuickTime Pro. There's also VideoDrive. I'm sure there are others.
dude great tip. something i have wanted but then forgot about it. funny though that you have to sign up for an ADC membership to download makerefmovie.dmg from apple.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Topher15
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.maverick View Post
dude great tip. something i have wanted but then forgot about it. funny though that you have to sign up for an ADC membership to download makerefmovie.dmg from apple.
Don't need makerefmovie.dmg for make QT Media Links.

VideoDrive will do it although it's not freeware. Or there's Movie2iTunes which is free. Just drag a folder to the icon, selected a location for the files and it will make the media link and automatically add to iTunes. Remember however you cannot add meta data/artwork to the files.

Last edited by Topher15; Sep 22, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Topher15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store