Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Majestic.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Greetings.

I am so pissed off right now. I bought a new Nano last week, which will be my fourth Nano purchase - and it is garbage for a single reason: the accelerometer. Why, you ask? Because it is overly intrusive and prevents me from changing volume unless I take it out of my pocket and hold it upright. Additionally, every time I tilt it, the screen turns on and wastes battery life. Actually, compared to my 3G Nano, the battery life thus far has been nowhere near as good.

I spend a good deal of time lying in bed, listening to music - and I constantly flick through tracks and change volume. However, due to the accelerometer always setting off cover flow, the screen is constantly being turned on whenever I move my arm, and I can't adjust volume without rotating the iPod. I think it is hopeless. I find myself going back and using my 3G Nano, simply because I can hold it in any position I like without coverflow kicking in and wasting battery life, as well as hindering my ability to change volume. It is beyond me as to why Apple didn't include an option to turn the acclerometer off. What, do they assume that EVERYONE uses coverflow? I never use it, I use playlists.

I shouldn't have to deal with constant irritation from a feature that I don't want. It is a gimmick. But not only that, it is an absolute nuisance and I'm thinking of selling the 4G Ipod simply because it is so annoying. Has anyone else experienced a similar irritation with the accelerometer? I've read elsewhere that people are annoyed about it - but I don't know if this problem is annoying enough people for Apple to look into it.

Cheers.

orangejelly

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
QUICK GATHER YOUR RECEIPTS AND PACKAGING AND RETURN IT TO APPLE. QUICK!!

i think you can return/refund it within 14 days... or 30days in some cases. get a classic instead.

adom

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2006
UK
Is there an option anywhere to turn off some of the effects of the accel? I know this isnt the case on my iphone, but maybe there is on the nano. I can completely understand your annoyance, especially on something like the nano where you just wana turn up the volume in your pocket.

Good luck man.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I've noticed the same issue with battery life and the unintended, accelerometer-induced coverflow. Currently, the only way to turn off the accelerometer is to move the hold switch to the on position. Music will still play, but unfortunately you don't have access to click wheel until you move the hold switch back to the off position.

Apple should have made the 4G's coverflow mode a menu option (like it was on the 3G Nano) which would then kick in the accelerometer for switching between cover flow and the now playing view just like it works now. You could get out of coverflow mode and back to the main music menu by pressing the menu button when the Nano is rotated and coverflow album art is displayed. Give Apple feedback a shot. If enough people whine about it, they'll make the change.

In any event, you do have 14 days to return it - no questions asked - but you'll have to pay the restocking fee.

Agasthya

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I don't mind the accelerometer since someone might be inclined to watch movies or something, but cover flow is by far the most ridiculous mandatory feature ever. I usually walk with my iPod in my hand and therefore coverflow is ALWAYS active (unless I have the hold switch on) and that forces me to charge the battery on this stupid thing about once every two days -- that's about 2 hours of use a day maximum. It's pretty awful.

Dejavu

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
The 4G looks appealing, as I played a little bit with it this morning, but I think I will keep my 1G nano. Suits me fine. Coverflow on the nano is pointless and completely dumb. It's only amazing on the iTouch because of the tactile finger gestures which make it satisfying to use, otherwise very very stupid on the nano. Maybe the next software update they include an option to turn it off.

Thanks for the heads-up. :D

bytodaystandrds

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
Take it back then..

1gen nano yea!
Probably the most usable(along with the 2g) and the only nano that you can uncap the output here in Europe.

Take it back man...
:D

Rtb1

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
san diego
how much time do you spend in bed?

and

if you are in bed so much...why don't you use speakers?

and

why have you bought all 4 nano's? doesn't that seem weird to anyone?

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Doesn't bother me much. I keep the hold switch on while I'm walking and I never really use my ipod while in the bed.

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA
I have this EXACT same complaint :mad: Please, everyone that is annoyed by this problem, send Apple feedback asking them to add a menu option for disabling Cover Flow when the nano is rotated (go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipodnano.html). I was waiting for the bus today and was holding the nano in my pocket and I had to pull it out every couple minutes to change the volume; it's driving me crazy!

Send Apple feedback! Hopefully they'll change it if enough people write in.

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
Thanks for the heads up. I will now stay away from the nano when considering another ipod purchase :)

It sounds like an incredibly annoying feature to have an accelerometer tied to a key user interface function for a small device that's designed to get jostled around alot. Perhaps Apple should make a button that switches the screen mode from horizontal to vertical, so the user has more control over which mode it's in? This goes for iphones/ipod touches as well.

Majestic.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Phew, it's not just me that's having this problem. I thought of taking it back, but I really don't want to, in the hope that Apple may release a software fix.

how much time do you spend in bed?

and

if you are in bed so much...why don't you use speakers?

and

why have you bought all 4 nano's? doesn't that seem weird to anyone?

I listen as a go to sleep, which takes a while as I suffer from DSPS. I don't know how using speakers would apply to my iPod problem? I buy new Nano's as they come out, perhaps that seems weird to you, but its the norm for me. I like to keep up with technology.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
do you think apple saw this issue come up during testing? or did they just wait until the masses could be their guinea pigs

thank you Majestic. for bring this up, i was thinking of getting one of these

jake921660

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
this annoys me when i use my ipod touch as well

they definitely need an option to turn it off but only in certain apps for ipod touch
i would like it to work in safari but not while in music

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Yeah, there should have been an option to turn off a pretty "eye-candy"-only feature. Bad decision from Apple, IMO.

One of the main reasons I didn't buy an iPod Touch and bought a Classic instead. Since I won't be using the WiFi nor the App for my homework (who am I kidding? I'm prolly too lazy to use that to keep track of my homework :rolleyes:) to me, it's all eye-candy.

Yet my little sister bought the 16GB Green Nano, so I'll be taking a look at this. But hopefully Apple will make a software update to improve this... Yet it is kind of sad seeing that only the Classic and the Shuffle now have the interface that doesn't require you to look. But I shouldn't generalize the Nano until I run/walk with it.

Rtb1

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
san diego
I listen as a go to sleep, which takes a while as I suffer from DSPS. I don't know how using speakers would apply to my iPod problem? I buy new Nano's as they come out, perhaps that seems weird to you, but its the norm for me. I like to keep up with technology.

oh.
maybe you should try this for the DSPS:

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 142

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you bought all four nanoes, why not switch back to the 3rd gen????? just because something new is out doesn't make it suitable for everyone. if a new macbook came out, would you buy it? or a new monitor came out? if you keep up with technology, you lose money at the end just to have features you probably don't need...

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Glad I didn't opt for the new Nano. That would have annoyed the heck out of me!

The entire reason I was thinking about getting the new Nano instead the new Touch was the ability to operate it blind. Thankfully Apple put physical volume controls on the Touch so I got that in the end. The only 'problem' I have with Cover Flow is occasional accelerometer lag to get it back to normal view - you generally have to hold it vertical for the accelerometer to kick in quickly.

One solution to your problem would be to get the new ear phones which have the remote control in the cable.

Majestic.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
If you bought all four nanoes, why not switch back to the 3rd gen????? just because something new is out doesn't make it suitable for everyone. if a new macbook came out, would you buy it? or a new monitor came out? if you keep up with technology, you lose money at the end just to have features you probably don't need...

Well I'm using the 3rd gen at the moment, because the battery life (for me, personally) is much better. Apart from Steve's keynotes always sucking me in, the 4th gen Nano was actually a logical purchase for me this time around, as they placed the click wheel further away from the screen. I never really liked layout of the 3G, too cramped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.